Guitar!

so my 6 year old asked for a guitar for his birthday granted his birthday is not until nov.. but he's been asking for one for awhile.. so i was looking some of and then i thought can a 6-7 year old get guitar lessons?

mampanda0422

Asked by mampanda0422 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, they can. Just look in your area for guitar lessons. If you have a guitar shop that is a great place to start, they can help you get a good guitar and point you in the direction of someone who will give him lessons.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Why does he need lessons, necessarily? My kids got guitars a couple of years ago, and they came with little cards that told them the chords. I just let them play. Granted, they didn't make beautiful music right away, but I found that they enjoyed it far more and they came to me when they were ready to take lessons. We're working on that this summer, actually.

But I believe he could get lessons, yes. You would just call around to guitar teachers until you find one with a price you like who will take him on at his age. Shouldn't be too hard, I don't think. Or you could also just go online, try YouTube and probably find some videos that would help him.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Walmart has really cool ones for ages 6 and up. If you have itunes there is an app that comes with the guitar :)
    teeg1

Answer by teeg1 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• i just figured that if ig et him a guitar he should get lessons.. i dont know i didnt play any instruments growing up, so this is something new to me!
    mampanda0422

Comment by mampanda0422 (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Yes, you can get him lessons, but my son got a guitar at 6 too. He never had a lesson. He's happy to just make up his own songs and strum along. Really, it's the cutest thing I've ever seen. Usually his songs are about me. I've recorded it a few times.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Buy your guitar from an actual music store. Often they'll offer a month of free lessons with a guitar purchase. Also invest in a HARD CASE to protect it. He can't learn anything with a broken guitar.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Absolutely. My 4 (almost) year old takes guitar lessons. granted they are from his Uncle, but he learns quickly and does well.
    2monstersmommy

Answer by 2monstersmommy at 1:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2013