Are hot baths REALLY bad for your pregnancy??? If so then why???

mamakat21

Asked by mamakat21 at 2:03 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• they get your body temp up
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:07 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• No they aren't. Some people seem to think that the hot water going up your vagina can make the baby hot, thus giving it a fever and causing possible brain damage. Especially if the baby is head down.

However, water does not go all the way up into your vagina unless you put it there, such as with a douche. It only goes so far up, so there is no risk in your child getting too hot from a hot bath. And the temperature on the outside of your stomach is not enough to affect the baby inside unless it's scalding hot, and I highly doubt you'll scald yourself, lol.

Go soak in a nice hot bath and relax ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Ummm yes the heat is bad. It raises your body temp therefore raising the babys temperature. Baby cannot regulate thier body temperature.

Source

ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:19 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• When I was pregnant, my tolerance for hot went way high! I would take the hottest bathes and not realize it. My husband would come into the bathroom and put his hand in just to check on me. I loved it!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:19 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• i pretty much ONLY take baths.
    im 40 weeks and take a bath every day i def choose them over showers. i just dont make them SUPER hot just warm and comfortable. i love them.

but if you do make them REALLLYYY hot it could raise your body temp which could possibly raise the babies as well. but if you dont make it really hot then no harm done :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:22 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• As long as the water isn't scalding hot and the baths are not excessively long, then you are good to go.

I labored in hot water to ease contractions and neither my doula or midwife said anything to me about it. I'm sure they would have if it was unsafe.

Obviously if your water has broken, you've lost your mucus plug, or if you are in your 1st trimester, then it's not recommended.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• lol ok ladies thanks! I've had one every night this week so far, but my aunt snarls at me and says it's bad so I shouldn't do it. But I love em, and they seem to help me relax so I can sleep. Think I'm gonna go take one now and crawl into bed. Ahhhhh....;0) Thanks ladies! Anyone tell you all how much you rock???? lol xoxo
    mamakat21

Answer by mamakat21 at 2:31 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• yeah as long as its not too hot... i took a few baths but i had a thermometer in there LOL. i made sure they werent above 95 degrees!!!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:38 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Your body temperature isn't supposed to reach above 102 degrees. As long as you don't get that high, then you are safe.

Soak away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• No they are not! BECAUSE hot baths are different than hot tubs! Hot tubs have one setting.. Baths cool down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 AM on Feb. 13, 2009