Have you ever "fixed" something by replacing it?

My husband came home this past Friday and said we should get the van checked out because it wasn't starting up properly. The battery tested out good so it had to be something else. I reluctantly took it to the dealership Saturday because sure enough when I went to start it the thing wouldn't turn over. Of course it did by the third or fourth try. Well they wanted to start it cold so they told me it would be a few hours while the engine cooled. Long story short we ended up getting a new van instead. Because I'm curious I asked them what was wrong with the one we traded in. They weren't finished diagnosing it yet, but had found $1,000.00 worth of work it "needed" so I guess trading it off ended up being a good decision. So, have you ever fixed anything that way? PS in case you are wondering, we put alot of money into fixing the old van already so figured a trade up was about due anyway.

2autisticsmom

Asked by 2autisticsmom at 7:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2013 in Just for Fun

• There is always a point when putting more money into an old clunker just isn't worth it. Better to replace it then to keep feeding the beast your hard-earned money!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:08 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Only a pair of shoes that my youngest grew out of. It happened to be her favorite pair and she was distraught when she discovered they no longer fit. Later that week I found the exact same pair in a larger size. She thought I had magic and made her old pair bigger
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• yeah,the washer
    the transmission went and would have cost $300 to replace
    I bought a new one for $349

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Yep! We've actually done the same vehicle thing. Anything else we've fixed by replacing was inexpensive, minor stuff.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 7:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Yep..lawn mowers/dull yard tools, stereo, dvd players. Pretty much anything my DH tries to "see what I can do" to gets replaced.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• LOL Kristi. I got a pair of jeans I outgrew, can you make them bigger? We actually didn't discuss a new vehicle it just sort of happened. I got to looking whileI was waiting and the next thing I knew......hubby was cool with it though thank goodness.
    2autisticsmom

Comment by 2autisticsmom (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Yep we do that all the time ,but it's mostly small stuff.
    JennieMarie1103

Answer by JennieMarie1103 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Only when my dau's Jessie doll (from Toy Story) went AWOL. I "found" it (actually got her a new one at Toys R Us) Only to have her friend find the original Jessie doll about a month later! The lengths we go to, to make our kids happy :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• No, we always try to fix what's broke around the house, and our vehicles. We don't buy from dealers, we buy from individuals, and pay cash, we never finance anything. We buy high end used vehicles, so what we have was built to last, and we can't see paying the interest, and making payments on something that holds it's value long after it's new as long as it's taken care of. Not bashing anyone, it's just how we do things.
    When something goes wrong my Hubby fixes it. We don't take it to dealers, or repair shops. When the engine has over 200,000 miles on it, Hubby pulls it, rebuilds it, and then puts it back in. The only thing he does have someone do is machine the block, and if the tranny needs rebuilding he has a guy that does regular work for him, for our vehicles, and Hubby's customers. It's nice being married to a mechanic, he takes great care of all of our vehicles.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Sounds like you had a possible starter go bad. Depending on how new it was, it could have been very costly and a pain in the ass to replace, so you did the right thing.
    And, we do that all the time. In fact, we have a van we got a month ago that needs more "fixing" then we can afford, so we are going to downsize to a car. Hopefully, that will help with the 40+ miles we will be putting on it daily for a while. Just gotta find a car first.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2013