Stopping DH from tattling?

I would think that I would have a problem with tattling from my son who is 5, but no it is my DH who is a tattle-tail. Today was my son's first day on ADHD meds and my DH had a problem giving our son the medicine, so after my son had taken his dose the first thing my DH does is call me and throw a tantrum about how if I had done this on Sunday it wouldn't have been so hard today and that my son's shirt was dirty. So I asked him if he took his meds and told him to have our son change his shirt. So my question is how do I stop him from tattling instead of parenting?

amandajoy21

Asked by amandajoy21 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• I know what you mean and sometimes share your frustrations. Gently let him know that you are confident that he can handle whatever needs that arise while he is in charge and that you understand that parenting can be challenging and frustrating at times. Maybe he feels he needs acknowledgement for some reason...or maybe just needs a wakeup call. lol. Either way, good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Kword said it best I think. But m-avi is right too. A lot of dads are like that. Maybe he just wants you to be aware... as if you weren't already, of the difficulties he's going through, being a... well... a parent..... lol!!! Some men remind me of 1st time new mothers... terrified of doing something wrong... and other times I think they are just lazy, and want everything to run smoothly, and fall into place.... Though I do know that there are men out there that parent better than some mother's.... I've never met one personally.... but I'm sure they are out there... ;-)
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 9:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• ht does not sound like tattling. It sounds like communication between parents and him communicating his frustration at a difficult task for him and your (both) son.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Oh, so you want him to handle it without your assistance??? Gotcha. I think all dads are like that though.... Just keeping you up on the situation so as you don't feel left out?? LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• I don't get it. You don't want him to parent???
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• I don't think that is tattling. It probably would have been better to start the meds with a day at home so you could observe him.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• No I want him to parent just not tell me everytime our son is difficult. I don't need to know my son needs to change his shirt when he is in charge.

amandajoy21

Comment by amandajoy21 (original poster) at 9:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• I agree that it's not tattling, parents need to communicate. I'd say tattling would be if he called your mother...or maybe his mother to tell what he thinks you're doing wrong.

If he's bothering you too much at work, I'd tell him to share his parenting experience when you get home.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2013