Do you believe class is obsolete in America? I read an article by Julian Fellows the creator of Downton Abbey he said that in England birth s the greatest predictor of a persons life outcome.

I think there is great truth to this. It is alot harder to break out of poverty now more than ever. Everything is almost out of reach to many, many people.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I think class is a predictor of likely outcome for all people. It is not obsolete. I talk about tennis, golf and private school while some of my coworkers have had their car repossessed right at work. Two different worlds.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Is class obsolete in America, absolutely not.
    The concept you are referring to (or rather Julian Fellows) is referring to is actually known as Social stratification and appears quite prevalently in all societies. And while it is possible to change one's social stratification it is increasingly more difficult as there are a number of factors which contribute to it and the change of social stratification most often occurs in the opposite direction as is desired. (IE it is easier to go from say "rich to poor" than it is to go from poor to rich)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• No. The names of the "classes" have changed, some identifiers have changed, but the odds are still good you'll end up close to where you started.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• no. statistically, we live & die in the class we were born in. but thats not a permanent thing. one of my favorite professors in college grew up in the slums of Houston, worked hard, and got out to become on of the most respected History professors in the state. we can overcome our class, but it takes a lot of work and some luck.

and one thing ive noticed a lot lately, is that more & more ppl are realizing that high social economic status doesnt make one a good or worthwhile person. we have reality TV to thank for that!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Class is not obsolete in America but it is easier to break out of the class you are born into here in the US then in a lot of other countries that use social stratification. I was born into lower middle class and my parents brought us into middle middle class by the time I graduated high school. I married middle middle class and we are just inside what is considered upper middle class around here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Class is not obsolete in America. I still get dirty looks in nice restaurants in Oklahoma. Apparently, I don't "fit" in there. I guess my olive skin is my class.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 12:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• not quite
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2013