Do you believe that the American Dream is still attainable for ANYONE in America?

I do not. I used to but I just don't think so anymore.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 9:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Not so much. It's getting much more UNattainable. That is why there is so many people buying lottery tickets now.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• ANYone, yes. EVERYONE, NO.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• Another bitter anon whose bat crazy candidate lost the election and she still hasn't gotten over it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• I used to believe in the Dream also, but its so hard to try and open a business, (just an example) then if you do get off the ground and it takes off running, then the economy goes into the toilet again, and folks have to save their pennies. And the small businesses suffer for it. Then you get folks on Capital Hill acting like spoiled children and cannot agree on anything, and thinking about THEIR bottom line. Although they say different, and us Americans are hanging in limbo to see how bad the ax will fall and in what direction. I do know a lot of small businesses in my city has gone out of business especially when GM up and left. Now the rest of them are falling like dominoes. Or if you were lucky and got a house, then in the end you find you were conned out of the American Dream by a predatory lender. And you get the shaft, and end up with nothing except a bad credit rating.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2013

• It's possible to attain the American Dream but first you have to decide what that means to you. For me it is owning my home, working and raising a happy family. Currently we are doing that although the bank does own part of my home. I think it just takes longer then it did 50 yrs ago. We have to make every penny count from the beginning.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:32 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Sure. The American Dream has changed. It is now, "have your child diagnosed with a disability. Get welfare, SSDI, low income housing and food stamps. "

The middle class will pay for it all.
    Anonymous

• that may be what you dream about attaining anon...but I most certainly having higher standards for myself and my kids. It's sad you don't.
    With that attitude, your kids will surely follow in your footsteps.
    and the rest of us will have to pay for you and yours. Get a life anon. Or better yet, get a job. lol
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:58 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I believe it is still alive, this is still the land of opportunity, you just have fight to have and it and keep it......

Answer by older at 9:34 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Well we all know the economy is still in the crapper & the future of this country's economic survival is still so uncertain. "They" say to work hard, go to school, etc. Well, things are not always that simple. I know plenty of hardworking people who are just getting by. I know some who can't afford school & some who have their degrees but can't get work. I think the dreams have changed due to reality.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:35 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Yes, but in much smaller numbers than in decades past.

As for people wanting to live on government assistance, I knew someone that lived on it her entire adult life and taught her kids how to do the same. She knew how to work every part of the system. Very smart. Taxpayers paid for her to get to BA's. Neither of which she used for gainful employment. What a waste.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:05 AM on Jan. 8, 2013