Extra fussy or normal?

I have a 5 month old and I am wondering if his fussiness is normal. He is fussy on and off throughout the day, especially at night - he cries for an hour on and off or so. And - EVERY nap and EVERY night, no matter how tired he is he fights going to sleep. I have to rock him to sleep and that is after 15 -20 minutes of crying and fighting it.

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 2:56 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is this recent or from day one? If recent, what's changed in his world?

Any sign of teething? Drooling, gnawing on hands? Teething can make them miserable.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:00 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• He has been like this pretty much the entire time
    expectoct

Answer by expectoct at 3:07 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Is it possible that he has a digestive issue that could be causing him to be in pain? I have heard of babies with GERD acting similarly. You may want to ask his pediatrician if this has been going on since he was born.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• omg! My LO was the same way! You need to read the 90 minute sleep solution by Dr. Polly Moore. I thought she was having some serious sleeping problems because (like you said) putting her down for a nap took forever and bedtime was awful. What I learned was that I was waiting to long to put her down. I was trying to put her to sleep when she was exhausted. (to sum it up). The book is about $14 and I got it at Borders. It was really easy to read. I read it Saturday night and started implementing what I learned the next morning at nap time. It really worked right away.

Good luck! I know its hard.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:39 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Some babies are just more needy than others. I would look into 'high need' babies and see if that sounds like your lo. My dd is fussier than most babies, super sensitive, can't self soothe, etc. I thought it was a phase that would pass, but here we are 6 months later. She just needs a little more attention and loving, but in the end will be a better child for it. Just hang in there, it will get better.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:47 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Get a moby wrap and wear him at his fussiest times and right before bed. Walk around the house with him in there or bounce on an exercise ball. he will fall right to sleep!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 9:00 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Is this after he eats my dd did the same thing, come to find out she was lactose intohlent, we switched her to soy and now she is very calm and goes to sleep a lot easier.
    Gran1954

Answer by Gran1954 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 14, 2009