Faith?

I was raised Christian, but I am pegan by choice. I want to raise my kids to have faith in how they feel. Their dad is Christian I want them to have an open mind to find where there heart leads them. any ideas? I have thought about taking them to different churches, teaching them about different religions, introducing them to different views. Does this seem wrong? I don't want to force the way I believe on them, they must follow their own hearts, I don't know the best way to help them find it. I was a history major (to study history you have to study religion to understand why things happen) that is how I found what feels right to me. so I want some honest opinions not bashing. I don't judge others for the way they believe so don't judge me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jan. 8, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Why the need to teach children anything about different faiths beyond 'this is what these group of people believe to be true'? Why not let them investigate religions themselves when they get older and are not so easily led one way or another?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:25 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• No, it doesn't seem wrong to me at all. I, too, plan on raising my child to come to his own conclusions. We're Christian Universalists, but I want my son to find his own beliefs, and I would rather give him the tools and information to decide for himself. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:40 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• What's a pegan? I've heard of Pagan.
    Anyways regardless of whether or not they go to church, if you raise them to think for themselves and examine choices before deciding on one then that is what they will do regardless of where they go or what their friends say or do. Though the UU idea from other posters is a good one as well.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• This is easier to answer with the ages of the kids. Generally speaking - take them to Sunday school at a Unitarian Fellowship. They'll get a good cross-section of different faiths. Not all of them, but enough, provided it's a standard UU congregation. Check it out first, some are still decidedly Christian rather than inclusive, but the normal ones address all faiths from Wicca to Buddhism to Christianity and Judaism.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:17 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I talk to my kids all the time about different religions and spiritual beliefs.  The library has a huge assortment of books for kids about different faith based beliefs. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:19 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Why not let dad take them?

Answer by missanc at 5:55 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I would do just what you are talking about. Hubby and I are atheist, but I read my kids mythology when they were little and told them about a few bible stories and we would read about other beliefs online as they got older. I wanted them to have an appreciation and respect for other beliefs and let them decide on their own what it is that they believe
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I don't believe in religion studies until the child is teen aged
    You can raise a child with morals without saying it's because(insert deity) tells us to do this or that
    If you let a kid decide for themselves,everyone is happy

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• ages are between 4-8yr. their friends are talking about what their parents teach them how god watches over them and jesus is savior etc. I will have to check into the unitarian fellowship. thank you
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:23 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I introduced mine to the Bible, they were never exposed to their rituals in the christian school they attended, they were also introduced to the Catholic religion, and a few others, they reached puberty and formed their own opinions, some of which I do not share, but they grew spiritually immensely!!!! I think you got the right idea!

Answer by older at 9:24 AM on Jan. 8, 2013