Is it pretty much pointless to switch to cloth now?

Ok, I wanted to use cloth diapers with my dd very badly, but when she we didn't have the money to invest in them. Now, we're going to be getting our taxes back and we were considering switching, but our dd is 4 months old now. Is it pointless? I just don't know if we would actually be saving much money now by switching, because we use Parent's Choice diapers and they aren't outrageously priced. I wanted to switch because it's better for the environment and stuff, but is there really any point now? Would it basically be a waste of money?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 3:53 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Definately not a waste! I found out about cloth when my son was over a year and told myself the same thing, it's not worth the investment. But I still had 1.5 years of diapers! I so wish I had switched! You have tons of dipes ahead of you and you will save tons of money, not to mention the waste you will reduce. Do the math and see how much it would cost to be diapers for another 2 years! You will be pleasantly surprised!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:56 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It won't be pointless. You can still get much use out of them and it will still save you money in the long run.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Oh honey you've got a whole lot of diapers ahead of you. They won't be a waste at all. :)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:08 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Four months old? No, you still have PLENTY of time in diapers to get your money's worth. :)
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 6:38 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It wouldn't be a waste at all, however, I might also consider putting the money into an account for baby for college or something. By the time our kids get there in 18 years, it's going to be rediculously expensive. Or pay off another debt if you have any... we are using ours to pay off our credit card. Cloth diapers aren't a bad idea at all, but I just wanted to give some thoughts as to some other things you can do with your refund. Good luck!
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 9:15 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I would get cloth. They aren't that expensive and even with parent's choice you are looking at another 1500 dollars on disposable.

I used eco friendly diapers with my daughter, and they were more expensive but worth it. Now I am doing cloth with this baby.

There is definitely a ton of time left in diapers, so it wont be a waste! Also cloth diapered baby tends to potty train earlier :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:39 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Go for it. We switched around 14 mos, and at 18 mos now, we've saved a bundle already.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:55 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Well I never used cloth, but I thought about it. My mom had to use cloth on me because the diapers back then broke me out bad and according to her, she didn't save any money due to the extra laundry soap, water and bleach, so it's whatever you want to do. It's not too late if you really want to do it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:56 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I should add that you don't bleach cloth diapers, the sun works best... detergent is super cheap. Most women in cloth diaper groups make gallons of it for like 2 bucks lol. :) So don't worry about the "extra costs" because there aren't any if you do it right!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:02 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• yea this was all 38 years ago when my mom used cloth diapers lol, lots of things have changed since then lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:09 AM on Feb. 13, 2009