Maternity leave? Only working moms

I work for a health insurance company and we have the worse medical benefits!

What's the usual maternity leave benefit? Any moms in MA?

My job covers 6 weeks!!!
8 weeks if you had a c section or complications.

It's not paid at all.
My salary is about 40k. To be covered for the whole 6weekd you have to buy additional short term disability. You can only use this during weeks 1-3 and the pay is $45 dollars a week!
Then weeks 4-6 you can use that and the short term disability which is $400 a week!

The only option is if you don't have the additional coverage is you only get short term from weeks 3-6 and its only $400 a week. With the other it would be $445!!!

I'm thinking of getting Aflac or other supplemental coverage!

Shed some light!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jan. 8, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Benefits vary depending on company and the insurance they use. Federal law mandates that you may take up t o 12 weeks of unpaid leave off of your job for the birth of a child (*though it is up to your discretion as to whether you take it all at once or split it up or only use part of it). The rest depends on company policy. So your best bet is to contact the Human resources department.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Yea. I will contact hr.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I live in Texas and it's about the same, your on your own but my sister lives in California and her daughter was able to get state disability to cover her maternity leave. Check your state disability guidelines.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• That was exactly how mine was when I had my oldest. They don't have to pay for your maternity leave. The only thing they legally must do is give you the time off, and even that (FMLA) only applies as long as the company is big enough.

If FMLA applies, then you can fight to take more time, but the disability is usually very clear and can't/won't be changed.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:49 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• That's crazy! All this time I thought ppl were getting min paid leave for 6 weeks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• idk about paid leave but most jobs i know give 6 weeks - i run a daycare so i cant tell you much lol
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 11:15 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Here is a basic link to FMLA. And then your state may impose additional requirements, but you'd have to look that up yourself - it varies from state to state. HR might help. I live in TX and worked for a small company (under 50 people) so my employer didn't have to give me squat. They chose to offer up to 6 weeks of unpaid time off but I had to use all my vacation and sick time as part of it. 

Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:19 AM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I'm currently on short term for 8 weeks because I had a c-section. I still get a paycheck but it's not as much as it would be if I was working.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• My company didn't pay anything. I was able to collect disability for 6 weeks, but that was only $175 per week. I saved up vacation, so I got paid 3 weeks for vacation. I took off 9 weeks for my first, 4 1/2 months with my second and 10 weeks with my 3rd.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:21 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I work for a small business and I don't get paid for maternity leaves--I have had two. I was gone for only 2 weeks with both because it is hard to afford kids or anything without getting paid.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2013