Disruptive class, distracted teacher.. Don't know what to do!

I don't know what action to take with my daughter's classroom situation. I guess she is so distracted by all the other kids that she asked the teacher to be seated far away from them & alone. The teacher was fine with it. I am proud of her that she took the initiative to ask... but the classroom shouldn't be so loud that she can't concentrate. The teacher cannot control the kids at all.

Also, my daughter brought up that the teacher is on her Iphone or Ipad all day and never tells the kids anything when they're acting up. This is so frustrating. This teacher is very unorganized.. her room is always a disaster, schoolwork isn't specific with directions or return dates...

I've considered switching her to the only other 2nd grade teacher in the school.. but the kids in there are unruly too and I've heard complaints from parents about that teacher too.

I've set up a one-on-one meeting with the teacher in a few days. Not sure what to say though.. I feel like I might start yelling at her! Advice, please!

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 12:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Your frustration is completely understandable. Here is what I would do in your situation:

1. Write an outline of key points. You will be emotional (assuming) and you don't want to miss out on what you want to bring up in the meeting.

2. Definitely involve the principle. This situation is very serious and needs to definitely be brought up to both teacher and principle.

3. Offer any suggestions and end with the possibility of transferring schools. Even though this doesn't sound like a major deal, schools get x amount of money each year for each student. This is a big deal to the funding of schools.
    USNavyWife0330

Answer by USNavyWife0330 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Be sure you get the principal involved
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Start looking into other school options. If both teachers are abysmal the school itself probably doesn't run very well either. At the same time, I would continue to lean on the teacher, guidance department and principal to see if the problem can indeed be fixed.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Are you at all active in the PTA? Or do you know fellow class mates parents? If so, maybe you can get the parents together and discuss this, and if the school allows, and you you are available why don't you consider sitting in class one day? Seeing it with your own eyes...
    For sure bring it up with the principal, and if that doesn't help try the school board. Something has to be done with the teacher. She has to be in line to get her class in line...
    2monstersmommy

Answer by 2monstersmommy at 12:54 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Voice your concerns with her. Write down all the things that you want to discuss with her beforehand. If you are not satisfied &/or there is no improvement then call & sit down with the Principal. If you can bring your DH/SO with you for the meeting with the Teacher then he can add in his concerns too. My DH & I sat down with the Director of my Son's Preschool last year with a list of concerns about the Teacher & some other things related to classwork. There was an improvement within a week & even the other Mom's approached me & said they saw improvements too. Unfortunately some Parents feel that they shouldn't say anything or else the Teacher will take it out on their child. They are scared to make complaints. It works just the opposite way. I bet other Parents have the same concerns as you but are not saying anything. Be your childs advocate! GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Private school, if you don't like the teacher there is a simple solution. They do what you want or get fired.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:23 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Wow. The principal needs to be alerted immediately. A teacher playing on her iphone???!!! What is she thinking. Sounds like she needs to be fired.
    IF she is not there to use her college education and help the kids learn, she needs to find a computer job.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2013