Today a woman at my daughter's school said that racism no longer existed. I was stunned. I don't know what rock she has been living under but racism is all around us. What do you think? Is racism a thing of the past?

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I wish I could see the world through HER rose colored glasses! I think BLATANT racism is a thing of the past but that's almost worse because now it is more subtle and implied and that can hurt peoples feelings even more :-/ Plus there are more Races that deal with racism nowadays, its not just black/white, its all colors and kinds that are discriminated against...
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 1:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Of course racism isn't a thing of the past. I; however, am like that woman you saw today. I don't try to think about racism and in my own mind I pretend it doesn't exist anymore. Unfortunately, it does, in many cases. But, as long as I bring my children up treating everyone equally, I know I am doing my part.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Racism will always exist...the only thing that will change is what race it is against.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:10 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Yes sadly racism is alive and thriving. It used to be the majority against the minorities. But I have noticed the minorities are being racists against other minorities as well. I can only change the world with what I teach my kids. I am not so naive to believe all people do the same but I would hope for equality's sake that they would.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 1:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Ha,I hope she's happy in her dream world

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Racism will always exist.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I have known people who do say things like that. The folks I know who "don't believe in racism" are mostly actually closet racists who are trying to deny and justify it to themselves.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 5:23 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Unfortunately racism exists, sexism exists, age-ism exists, look-ism exists. The world doesn't change much after high school. In fact, it only gets harder & uglier! Sad :(

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• It is alive and well, not a thing of the past, I have recently discovered this when I have told friends my son is dating a black girl......a sweetheart of a girl, but some can't see past her skin color...a thing of the past, HELL NO!

Answer by older at 1:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Yes its still around.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2013