New exercise gyms for people who need to lose more than 50 pounds. I think it is a good idea. Whatever helps people exercise is good. Do you think it is a good idea?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/07/downsize-fitness-overweight-members-50-pounds_n_2425717.html

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• I think having larger capabilities available on the equipment is worthwhile. And if being with other larger people make you feel more comfortable that is great too, but do you have to leave the gym when you get down to a certain size?
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 2:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Isn't that basically Curves?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• i think that sounds wonderful! before kids DH and i would wait till after 9 pm to go to the gym just to make sure all the "we come to the gym to show off how hot we are" types would be gone. its hard to exercise when you're 50+ lbs overweight and your fats bouncing around when everyone around you is 10 lbs underweight or all muscle. its very discouraging.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I saw this spot on this morning's news. I think it's a good idea. I have friends who have a few extra pounds and have been discouraged from joining a 24 hour fitness or bally's because they said it's a meat market disguised as a fitness center. And they have experienced dirty looks from men. I have let a couple friends use my treadmill and stair climber because they quit the gym. So yeah, this is a topic for our gals lunch later this week.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 1:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Curves is not as mainstream as 24 hour fitness. Very few locations that are only near rich people neighborhoods. Very far for those who live in surburbs 40+ miles away.
    Anonymous

• I like the idea. It would be good if they brought in trainers who specialize in the challenges of being overweight, along with exercise classes.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I think it's a great idea.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• The name of the centers is Downsize. The equipment is bigger, wider and can hold really high weights like 400 pounds
    booklover545

Comment by booklover545 (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2013