what can i do to help stop a cough for my 8 yr old daughter.

I tried giving her 2 teaspoons of robitussin dm about a hour ago and it didn't seem to touch it at all. please send any help that you have.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Health

• I found vicks worked better than tussin, the dm stands for dextromethorphan and tussin has less dm than vicks. Delsym is highly recommended by the drs I know too. Try honey, give her warm tea to drink with honey and real lemon, or a spoonful of honey can coat the throat. Try boiling water with hot sauce and pepper in it, maybe she needs to loosen the congestion and needs more moisture in the air. Is it a dry cough or a wet cough?
    lakegeorge_mom

Answer by lakegeorge_mom at 4:48 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• some medicine takes longer than 1 use and even longer than only 1 hour.

if its really bad then you might want to take her to the pediatrician.

our daughters bronchitis and then pneumonia started with a cough.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:02 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Vicks up her back, chest and feet and cover them in warm soft material...Turn your bathroom into a sauna by putting a towel along the crack under the door and running the hot water until your bathroom is full of steam. I find this will help to break up some of the croopy sounding coughs and ease the lungs if it's a dry barking couch. I SWEAR by the Sudafed shower soothers. They smell great and always seem to help my babies. Your daughters a little too old to shower with like I do with my lirttle ones but please stay in the bathroom with her if you get them as the box has a warning label about accidently touching the disc. We also get these organic cough drop lollipops that my girls love, I know they're getting something to soothe their throat and they don't relaize it's not candy.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 8:44 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I hope she feels better soona nd you don't do waht my family does and pass the darn cough around for weeks on end!
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 8:45 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It depends on the type of cough what I would use. If it is deep guiafenasin (Mucinex). If not I usually let it ride comforting symptoms only. I only worry if it is keeping them up and not allowing sleep or if it is deep and becoming an infection.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:10 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• ROBITUSSIN DOES NOT WORK TRUST ME THERE THE WORST I WILL NEVER BUY IT AGAIN TRY ANOTHER BRAND I LIKE WALGREENS BRAND OR ADVIL COUGH AND COLD ! THEY SAY CHOCOLATE STOPS COUGH FOR A FEW HOURS I TRIED IT IT DOES WORK !!!
    Anonymous

• Do your research about Vicks before using it - it can be an irritant and cause the lungs to produce more mucus resulting in more longterm coughing. It's a quick fix that can have longer problems.
    cypris420

Answer by cypris420 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 16, 2009