Anyone else have sensory issues? Either autism spectrum related or not

Do you have physical reactions to sights,smells,textures,clothing,bedding,lighting,crowds?

I spent years not realizing why I was having reactions to certain places and situations.
I remember not being able to concentrate in school(fluorescent lighting),feeling claustrophobic and panicky in some buildings due to the wall patterns and low or high ceilings.
If i have a seam on my clothes rubbing,I can't function. If my sheets bunch up or have a wrinkle,I can't sleep.
I have some that would make you swear i'm insane.
I'm on the low end of the spectrum. Just enough to make me "weird"

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2013 in Health

• When people violate my space. If someone comes too close to me to talk I get annoyed. When people touch me for any reason if I am not expecting it. It makes me cringe. I think I am a obsessive compulsive. I have to have labels facing out, I cannot have dirty floors, it makes me crazy if people walk inside my house with shoes on. I just can't concentrate. All I can think of is cleaning the floor when they leave. I clean the floor & toilets after visitors leave & I clean the leather couch if they sit on it. Am I really tooo weird or what? I am a neat freak but inside my drawers & closets are a mess! WTH?

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• IDK. I've never thought that much about it, but when someone is banana smacking (not anything dirty, but making a noise with mushed banana in their mouth, and smacking it out loud) I feel angry.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• "Banana smacking makes me feel angry." OMG I'm cracking up.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 2:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I guess I do. I cant stand crunchy things and also I am very sensitive to most smells.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• My ex does. I had to tell him before I touched him and I couldn't rub him at all, anywhere. He could not handle loud noises or any type of perfumes (all detergents, soaps, deodorant HAD to be fragrance free - his and mine)

Answer by missanc at 2:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I believe I do. I've never been able to be around crowds. I start hyperventilating and the anxiety level goes wayyyyy up. I was like with the lighting as well. There is something about those lights though, I remember reading about it. They make you tired, zap your energy. That is why I get so exhausted at the mall, I believe. Anyway, I am super sensitive to smells and textures as well.

If I could stay at home and never go out, my world would be wonderful! LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I don't find you weird at all...I'm similar. I get discombobulated (sp?) in brightly lit, chaotic environments..too much going on! A few too many sounds like busy streets or rooms with lots of different sounds will flip me right out to the point I wouldn't be able to say the ABCs.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Not personally, but I am a certified ABA therapist, so I (used to) deal with these things quite a bit. But that was before I started back working full time.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 2:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• LOL, I didn't realize how dirty that sounded until I typed it. I've been saying it for years and this is the first time anything other than actual bananas actually occurred to me.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I have a hard time looking at people eye to eye it actual hurts my eye's to do that. When i was little i couldn't stand the lines in my socks or my clothes and i would cry until it was fixed. My 3yo actually is the same way with clothes. I could never concentrate in school i heard everything the teacher said but i would lose the information right away and in middle school i liked going home and staying in my room all night. I feel like im wierd:/ Oh and i can't have my house cluttered i end up throwing things away if we have no use for whatever it is.
    megclark22

Answer by megclark22 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2013