Parakeet Question

My daughter has a couple of parakeets. Yesterday I picked up the female and found that she had quite a large, odd-shaped bulge on her chest. It didn't seem to bother her when I touched the bulge, which was maybe the size of a raspberry, but she did seem a little lethargic. Still, today she's moving around okay in her cage. Does anybody know what this might be? There really aren't any bird specialists as far as vets go in my area. Do I need to start bracing my little girl to say goodbye?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 3:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2013 in Pets

• That's not old for a 'keet
    they can live 5-15 years
    mine are almost 5 are are in good health
    see if your vet can see her. The vets here don't. I guess it's a cost issue to treat small birds and animals

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Egg maybe?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• You don't need a "bird specialist" as a vet. My vet is far from a specialist, but he can tell you just about anything there is to do with birds.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• How old is your birdie?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• It kind of sounds like she's egg bound. I hope not because from what I've heard it can be very dangerous for the bird
    MrsErdos2011

Answer by MrsErdos2011 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I wondered if the bird could be egg bound, but the bulg is up at the front of the breast toward the head. My daughter said maybe Pixie is growing a baby; I didn't bother telling her it doesn't quite work like that in birds.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• We've had her about two years, and she was about two years old when we got her. I'm not exactly sure how long parakeets live. We have three of them, two males and this female. Two of them are tame to the hand; one is not.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Wel, that's the problem, I've called the local vets and they don't usually see small birds, so I might have to go out of town.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2013