7 year old still having accidents at school?!?

Why would a 7 year old still be peeing his pants at school?

BeautyGuru

Asked by BeautyGuru at 3:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Are they letting him go when he needs to?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• He may be holding it in because he's too busy playing & doesn't want to take the time out to use the bathroom or he may be constipated. It's common for children who are constipated to wet the bed if it becomes a chronic condition. There is just simply less room for the urine.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:54 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• That would be my question...are they letting him go when he says he needs to go?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Any chance he has a UTI or bladder infection?
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 4:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Some kids at that age can't wait very long. I would make sure the teacher in charge is taking it seriously when the boy says he has to go.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Either the teacher won't let your child use the bathroom during non bathroom break times, or your child is too scared to ask to use the bathroom pass. Both are not good. You will need to have a meeting with the teacher and get her feelings on restroom rules. I have personally dealt with a hard-headed 1st grade teacher who claimed kids can hold it until the restroom break time since they allow four times a day. I had to drag her to the principal's office to get it through her thick skull that 6 year olds need to go WHEN they need to go. We trust them to take care of our children during the day. If we parents at home, were to make them sit in a chair until our child urinated on himself, we would be the ones answering to CPS. Once I made my point, the principal backed me up. My son was allowed to leave the class without asking for the restroom pass for the rest of the year.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 5:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• She let's him go and he still has accidents. I don't understand it. I know I'm tired of getting called to the school because he peed his pants. He's seen a Dr and we were told there was nothing wrong with him.
    BeautyGuru

Comment by BeautyGuru (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• If it is not medical (and you might want a second opinion on that) or the teacher not letting him go than its an emotional thing. It could be he feels like he is being pushed to be grown up too fast, a response to some sort of stressor such as abuse, bullying. It could could be that your child is just extremely bright or has issues focusing and is just to darn busy. I would set up a meeting with a psychologist or a school counselor to see if you can get to the bottom of the bottom wetting.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2013