• In the Spotlight:

Should we rent our own PO box?

We are moving out of state and will be staying with family members for a while, meaning we will have no address of our own. If I forward our mail to the address of the people we are staying with, when we do have a place to live and forward our mail to our new home will it mess up the mail for the people we are going to be staying with?

Queen.of.Random

Asked by Queen.of.Random at 4:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2013 in Travel

• When you forward, you have to put each individual name you want forwarded. So no, as long as you don't put their names down, their mail will be fine. If anything, they'd be getting any excess un-forwardable mail that you'd still recieve (some mail does not get forwarded, junk mail mostly). If you'd be moving into the same town where you're staying for a while, I recommend getting a box. But if you're not sure, really either will work. Remember to contact any magazines, etc you may have a subscription to as those won't be forwarded, and other things like that. (Yes, I do work for the USPS.)
    Anonymous

• no,that won't screw up their mail

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• get your own PO Box and then forward the PO Box to your new address when you get it
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I would get my own PO box and than forward the mail after the move.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Does the family have your last name? If so, definitely get a PO Box.

If not, it really shouldn't be a problem getting your mail forwarded from their house. People move all the time and their mail gets forwarded just fine. If they get something of yours, they can always forward it at no charge.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Getting your own P.O or Private mail box give you more control. Have done it for ten years.
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2013