Have you ever had something happen that just weighs on you?

Every Monday I take part in feeding the homeless in a park. Last night a new lady was there. It was freezing cold out, and she was dressed only in light sweatpants, sweatshirt and flip flops. She got her food, and I tried to talk to her but she didn't respond to anyone. To the point that Im wondering if she is deaf. Anyway, I pointed out the area where we had some bins of coats and sweaters so she could look through them. There was also a large rubbermaid bin of small soaps, shampoos and the single wrapped Always pads you get out of vending machines. I mean, the bin was full so there were probably 100s of them.

She jammed some clothes on top of all of this hygeine stuff, and took off running with it. One of my staff stepped out and said, "you don't need to run, we can bag stuff for you". But she just ran faster, and she tripped over a concrete barrier in the parking lot. She skidded facedown over that cold asphalt, and really ripped up her face. I went over and helped her up, and wiped the blood off the best I could with my mittens, and the whole time I was telling her "you dont need to run, you can take whatever you need. Let us help you."

She wasn't wearing anyting under her sweats so when she fell, and skidded like that, her pants got pulled down past her knees, and I just felt so sorry for her. I wanted to help her more, but she ran off, and I saw her at the other edge of the park holding her wrist like it really hurt. That picture of her has been stuck in my head all night and today.

Have you ever had anything like that happen? Where you had a mental image you just couldn't shake?

Nimue930

Asked by Nimue930 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2013 in Money & Work

• :(

I would collect some undergarments and clothes that might fit her and just walk by and drop it.

So freaking sad
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• That's so sad, I'm glad people were around to help her. I've seen a few things working in a hospital that have been hard to forget,
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• About 10 years back,we passed a car accident on the highway. A cement truck had hit a minivan head on. We saw them putting a body into the coroner's van,and the sheet was more red than white. The ground around the driver's side was just soaked with blood. I got to thinking,my god,did that pour out when they opened the door?!
    I was in a state of shock hoping that the van was not filled with kids

My friend was on a ride along with the State Troopers back in the early 90's. She said they came up on an abandoned car and the driver's side window was all black. The guy had blown his face off with a handgun. She decided that day that maybe being a cop wasn't for her

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• DH & I were visiting his grandfather one sunday afternoon. Then out of nowhere, 2 suvs come speeding down his street, turn at the corner and come to a screeching halt. We heard about 5 very loud gunshots then tires screeching again. My dh jumped in the car to drive the 2 blocks away to see if someone needed help. I didn't want him going alone so without thinking I jumped in also. We came onscene to a driveby shooting with a dead pregnant woman in the driver seat. She was gone almost as soon as she was shot multiple times. The image was one I couldn't forget for months, especially because of the shot to her pregnant belly. Their family lost 2 people that day. Crazy times we live in.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 5:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Good and bad, we have these experiences that stick with us. Back when I lived in Boston I kinda got used to homeless people around. As a young woman I mostly kept away (there were people who clearly were not entirely stable and possibly not safe) but there was this one young girl one day in one of the busier squares. She was sitting in a doorway begging (like many others) but she just had this look in her eyes when people would walk by - a heartbreaking look. I saw her again later as we were walking to a restaurant, she was just sitting there, curled up and crying, no longer begging. I just felt I should do something but I didn't. While eating, I decided to order a little food for her. When we left the restaurant, I went to find her and give her some dinner, but I couldn't find her. I still remember her over 10 years later. Those eyes! I should have done something sooner.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 5:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• It is very sad. She is either mentally ill or on drugs unfortunately. How sad for this to happen in the USA. You are a very good person to help her. You know she may be HIV positive or have Hepatitis C? Maybe wear rubber gloves next time you touch any blood or bodily fluid.

Anonymous

• It is a very sad story and scenario to just shake off, but it also tells me what a big heart you have got, keep doing it, you will be blessed 100 times over...

Answer by older at 1:22 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• The day my boys' father died. I had already had a dream he was gone the night before & could not shake the feeling that I'd be telling my boys the hardest thing ever that day. His mom had texted me to see if I'd heard from him so I called her & could hear the sadness in her voice, like she knew too. She told me her husb. was going over to check on him. After more than an hour of not hearing from them, I decided to call his cell & when her husb. answered, I could hear her in the background. It was the most heartbreaking, gut wrenching cry I've ever heard in my life & never want to experience again. It's been almost 3 yrs & I can still here her crying for her dead son. :(
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• BTW- I think what you do is wonderful. I hope you see her again & are able to gain her trust so she can get the help she needs. God Bless!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2013