I need some very basic good nutrition, weight loss brainstorming here...

As Ive said before, I run a homeless shelter. Actually, it's a little more like a transitional living program where the people can stay up to two years if they follow the rules. Well, I have some very obese people here, and I'd like to get them started on some weight loss strategies while they are here.

Im going to start a weight loss board in the dining room with very basic ideas that I can post, and rotate, so there is always something new, to educate them on better eating, and basic exercise.

So, give me some starters. Things like: Drink 8 glasses of water a day!! Dont eat white sugar!!
(or whatever....)

What are some things you would put up there... it has to be very basic, easy to read, simple... I can't overwhelm them or they'll ignore it...

Thanks!!!!

Nimue930

Asked by Nimue930 at 5:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2013 in Health

• Something about no artificial sweeteners. They are far worse for anyone than sugar. Sugar is ok in small amounts.

Whole grains and whole foods are important. Eat an apple or orange instead of drinking apple or orange juice.

Drink green tea (it helps with weight loss.)

If you need chocolate - eat a portion of dark chocolate, it's actually good for you.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

•  

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Raw veggies instead of chips and other fat-filled snacks.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I don't have much self-control around food, so it was easier for me to start thinking about adding things instead of restricting or cutting things out. Adding a glass of water before and during each meal and snack is a good idea (more water is good and it helps to make you eat less). Adding some fruits and/or veggies to each meal and snack is also good. Portion sizes are hard to estimate, but what helps is to just use a smaller plate (we just eat off salad plates in our house, not those full sized plates). It also helps to serve the food in the kitchen and then sit down to eat (makes you think more about going back for seconds). Not sure how to word this, but hope it helps.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 6:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Something explaining how to start with cutting down on their portion size? Maybe something to do with walking? I think you can pick up some charts and/or flyers on health sites, or your local health dept.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• kirsti has it on the dot

google dr oz- he always has great tips

staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Take the stairs whenever possible.

Stnad up and walk a bit every 1/2 hour.
    Spark people may be a site to look
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• For every hour spent seated spend 15 minutes walking
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:54 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:59 AM on Jan. 9, 2013