• In the Spotlight:

Just moved into house with great gardens and have no clue how to garden!, any advice??

We just moved into our new small house and are elated at the nice front yard (small bushes and planted flowers) and large backyard garden full of veggies (chard, lettuce, avocado tree, and some herbs)...but I don't know the first thing about gardening and we can't afford a gardener right now.

I have two weeks off, so any advice on how/where I could read up (books, blogs, etc) and start taking care of it?? Or any tips at all? Anything is much appreciated, thanks!

lexi8622

Asked by lexi8622 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 8, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Library
    Organic Gardening
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I agree with Dard. I really got into gardening last summer. Also, if you are on Pinterest, I always look through the ideas and Blogs there.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Not sure if it would help, but the $5 Dinner blog - she does square foot gardening and has a lot of info on veggie gardening, as well as links to books etc.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 6:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I suck at gardening, so my MIL lent me her copy of Gardening for Dummies (she wasn't being snarky just trying to help). And it's actually really helpful!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 6:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Get a gardener

Answer by louise2 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Look for blogs that target your area. Gardening really is an ongoing process - some years the plants go gang busters, then in other years, they kinda limp along.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I would first identify what you have and look up the care for them. If you plan on really getting into the garden then start reading and get a plan for weeding, mulching, watering, fertilizing, picking and pruning togehter. Most good garden centers will guide you through figuring out what you need (especially if you are buying stuff) If you can't see this being something you will stick to you might want to look up easy care plants for your area and replace the more fickle ones or ones that you already half way to killing with those. If you are not into weeding plants that are ground cover will eventually invade a space and multiply over time and hide the weeds.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Your local county extension center will have information specific to your location and the plants in your yard. Ask for the Master Gardener Program and see if they have a volunteer who can come out and teach you about your garden. Good luck.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Some areas have rules on what you can plant, after that check out these links  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv1KLDPf8YY

and the basics http://www.dummies.com/how-to/home-garden/gardening.html

Keep in mind how much work you want to put into it and if you would like to attract birds to your yard.

sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2013