Mammogram

I'm 40 and my annual visit to my GYN is next week...so that means mammogram. Gotta say the closer I'm getting to the appointment, the more nervous I'm getting.

For those who have had a mammogram...is it really that bad?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 6:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2013 in Health

• Truthfully it is no worse then getting a pap smear. IMO. They put your breast in a machine and squish it for a half a second. And wala. All done.

Answer by louise2 at 6:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Not at all. The worst part is when the nurse puts you in the room and feels you up! LOL! The actual procedure for me was the idea that I had to be still while they did it. I wanted to get my boob back. Oh, they kind of twist ya in an uncomfortable way, but it only lasts a second.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I have had over 5 so far and none of them hurt or were uncomfortable at all
    i think we hear horror stories about stuff, get all worked up then it is a negative experience.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 6:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I think its different for everyone & depends on your size & how close you are to your cycle. (they get more tender the closer you are to your cycle) I don't think it's horrible or anything, just a bit uncomfortable. I mean what sadistic creature thought, OK, let's put their boobs in a vice & take a picture?! :p GL!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Yeah, its really no big deal. I hated not being able to wear lotion or deodorant all morning on a hot day more than I did the actual mommogram!! (They told me wearing any of that stuff would make the picture blurry... )
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I hated not being able to wear lotion or deodorant all morning on a hot day more than I did the actual mommogram!! (They told me wearing any of that stuff would make the picture blurry... )
    Answer by Nimue930 an hour ago

^^^The place where I go offers baby wipes to clean up before the test. I came from work & there was no way I could do that w/out wearing deodorant.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I've avoided mine for two years. Never done it so don't know. But, I need to go.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2013