The Obama tax hike

AKA the end of the Obama tax holiday. Anyone making between $50k and 200k will see an approx 2% increase - a little under a hundred a month more coming out of their checks, starting this month. I've seen fb posts and editorials all over from pissed off Obama voters suggesting they've been lied to and cheated and tricked into voting for him.

So my questions:

If you voted for Obama, did you really believe that Obamacare and the economic climate would keep you immune from any tax increase?

If you let a tax break measure lapse, is that really a tax increase, or simply a return to normal? (and with that in mind, since this tax holiday was only in place a few years, isn't it irresponsible of people to depend on that extra income - or claim they do - when it was always presented as temporary)?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I knew the money had to come from somewhere. Taxes go up,shit happens,life goes on

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I thought the tax break on the amt. taken out toward Soc. Security was going back to the old amt. So is this something new? If so, then geez, what a shock, a politician lied to get elected! They all need to be slapped for being such morons w/ our money! And I really hope they did not exempt themselves from this tax increase! Or give themselves a raise to cover it. That would just be the icing!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• http://www.cafemom.com/answers/1308199/Did_you_know_that_your_taxes_will_still_go_up

This is not an Obama tax hike. I posted about this quite recently.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• This is not an Obama tax hike. I posted about this quite recently.

Doesn't matter what it is. It matters how it's recieved, and right now, the vote the way the tv tells me to demographic is losing its damn mind over a perceived Obama Tax Hike. That's what it will be called at midterms, and in 2016. It's just like that "cut" to PBS funding the democrats scream about any time a republican suggests giving PBS a smaller budget increase than originally planned.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I voted for Obama, make over six figures, and do not see a single cut and I got paid last week. Same paycheck as always. Get paid by the hour. Not salaried. And still no regrets. Would still vote for him again if given a
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• chance. Got cut off there.
    frogdawg

• An Obama tax hike is better than the old Bush tax cuts. The Bush administration wrecked the economy ,remember. We are just now starting to recover from that debacle.
    Anonymous

• I am thinking that the bi-monthly paid employees will see the impact on their next check. I was wondering about this today as well. I was starting to think about what will happen when prices for consumables and services go up due to tax hikes on business owners, as well as additional taxes that will be a result of Obamacare. Not to mention rate hikes in insurance policies from Ins. companies trying to pad their stash for the influx of new policy holders with pre-existing conditions. The economy hasn't really improved that much and there are a lot of people still just trying to keep their heads above water. Inflation and additional taxes are going to hurt a lot of people.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Oh, and wanted to add that baseline budgeting should be put 6 feet under.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Only those who do not do their research or follow the news will perceive this as an Obama tax. Clear thinking informed individuals know better.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2013