How do I get my 6yr old to be more independent?

I guess I never realized how much he depends on me until I noticed other kids his age doing a lot more things on their own. So my question is how do I get him to be a little less dependent on me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What types of things are you talking about? Getting dressed, cleaning up?
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Just start making her try everything before you do it for her. You can help her if she needs help but she has to attempt it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Does he have chores and other responsibilities around the house? You can encourage him by asking him to help you around the house.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Stop doing things for him right away. Some kids need more of a push than others.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• I would say start building his confidence up! If you know he can do it, make sure he knows you know and your proud of him and have confidence in him! Praise him for any little thing he can do on his own :)
    CaliBlondeGirl

Answer by CaliBlondeGirl at 10:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• what type of things are you talking about? I agree with the other ladies, back off a bit with doing things for him, as Mothers we have the tendancy to just jump in and do things, as we know what they need/want before they say it.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:28 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Do not hurry the independence. He is 6.  Before you know it he will be 16. And will not want to be anywere near you ever.  Then you will be boo hooing to us. How do I get my son to talk to me?

Answer by louise2 at 7:15 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I agree with louise2 100%. My Son is 6 & I am holding onto every precious moment of wiping boogers or helping him get dressed.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• More info would be nice.
    Anonymous