Worker's comp and retirement age

My father had an accident at work last year. He has been slowly recovering and has been receiving workman's comp payments. He is still unable to go back to work and still needs physical therapy. He will be 66 next week and he is worried that they will say as he is eligible for retirement they will no longer pay the worker's comp, even though he hadn't intended to retire at 66 prior to the accident.

He asked me and I have no idea if they can force him to retire due to an injury and have his income cut off.

Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks all!

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2013 in Money & Work

• I guess it would depend on the company policies but they can't force someone to retire but they can offer him incentives to retire.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• As I understand it they own that injury until it's healed or until your dad accepts a settlement. He should call a WC or labor layer...most do a free initial consult.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• A similar thing happened to my father. He was over 66 when he has a heart attack. He collected for a while. Until it ran out I believe. I kept thinking they would stop it, I think he was 70, but they didn't.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:06 AM on Jan. 9, 2013