For those who have dealt with depression and those who may or have may not taken meds for it....

I have had severe short term memory loss, caused by what I believe to be is depression. I've had a very rough two years in which I almost left my husband. I've stayed with him because I believe it's the best choice, but I don't know why I'm so depressed and this memory loss is freaking me out. I will forget where I put anything and everything. Forget water is boiling, forget the names of places, people, where I saw something....the list goes on.
The thought of being put on medication feels really depressing in and of itself! I would feel defeated. I just want to know what everyone's take on this is? I mean those who have been through it. Anyone who's suffered severe memory loss? Is there possibility for returning to who I once was? Being able to recall things? Thanks ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2013 in Health

• I've been on them, currently am not. It sounds more like you are suffering from anxiety though. That will cause a lot of the same symptoms you are describing.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• m-avi......both depression and anxiety run in my family. I just don't know how to cope, but what's more frustrating is why is it happening to me and how can I stop it! I've never been like this and I feel like I can't manage my life!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• What kinda meds are you currently taking OP?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• It's nothing bad... it happens to a lot of people. Sometimes we just can't handle things on our own. You need to see a Dr. because things like that can lead to high BP in the long run. I've also done hypnotherapy too. I think that's what finally helped me to get off my medications. I do still take anti-anxiety meds though.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• No worries- talk to a doc! Billions of us are depressed. no shame in it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• @Michigan ....none. My last baby (he's 2 1/2) I had a bout of deep depression, but I chalk it up to a little bit of hormones from after he was born and a lot on my relationship with my husband....just the stresses we have been through. I went on zoloft for a month or so then weaned myself off cause I was uber pissed I was the "problem". After that and up until about 9 months ago I've been fine...memory and all.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Most meds OP, especially Zoloft, take almost 2 months to really notice any changes. And Zoloft is infamous for taking so long. Many docs , or at least mine did, put me o something else that works a little quicker. What did you notice when you were on Zoloft?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• @Michigan....they started working within 2-4wks....It seemed like it didn't allow me to get upset about stuff which felt really unnatural to me. I would rather feel what's coming naturally (as long as it's not a chemical imbalance...like crazy hormones or something). The probs in my marriage were still there and still fresh. It just made me not have an emotional reaction to it, even though I know I was so unhappy.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• OP, being depressed can make it difficult to pay attention and focus, which can affect memory. Stress and anxiety can also get in the way of concentration. When you are tense and your mind is overstimulated or distracted, your ability to remember can suffer. Stress caused by an emotional trauma can also lead to memory loss. And giving birth can be considered an emotional trauma per say, cause of the stress your body body went through giving birth. Anti-depressants can cause memory problems, but it also could be something else. Have you had your thyroid checked? Low thyroid can cause depression type problems and memory loss, smoking can too. I would go to your doc and ask him and to check and make sure it isn't anything wrong.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2013

• Holy cow OP...what milligrams did your doc put you on???
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2013