• In the Spotlight:

what should i do?

Our sitter left 19mo in the garage with the door open so she could bring the diaper bag in. While she brought the bag in, my 19 month walked to the end of the driveway. He was near a moving fed ex truck when I found him. My husband wants to fire her. I feel badly about firing her suddenly, but should she get a second chance?

grovermom718

Asked by grovermom718 at 7:08 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A second chance where the safety of your child is concerned?

What would it take....him getting hit by that FedEx truck?

Sorry...but there are some things where there is no second chance. You're lucky your son is still alive to even consider giving her a second chance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• you cant be serious!

i would have smacked her in the face and then threw her out without any doubts. your son could be dead. there is NO SECOND CHANCE!
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:21 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• No second chance! All there needs to be in one lapse in judgement and your child could be seriously injured. Fire her!!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:24 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• No second chances! That was a very un wise disicion on her part. Maybe she'll learn her lesson maybe she wont. Do you want to risk your childs safety to figure it out?
    johnsmom326

Answer by johnsmom326 at 10:00 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I would have told her to leave then. She obviously wasn't thinking and how can you be sure a second chance would make her start thinking. Get rid of her.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 10:18 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• there is no excuse for being neglegent, what if something had happend? she needs to understand that something that simple and not thinking could have been a traggic, i hope it was a mistake, and she learned her leason, perhaps your husband is right on this one? she needs to realize how a small mistake can cause alot of harm maybe next time she will do things different, if in your heart you think she deserve anothe rchance then give her that but put down the law, also remebering we are all human and make mistakes, ask your self how many times have you done something that you know could have been a traggic? good luck
    mememommie

Answer by mememommie at 10:42 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• While I understand where everyone else is coming from, my thing is, doesn't everyone make mistakes? Doesn't everyone have days where they have done something TOTALLY stupid and maybe even put someone else or themselves in danger?

Don't get me wrong, I know that it was an incredibly stupid thing she did and put your child in terrible & unnecessary danger but don't you guys think you could try to discuss things w/her first? Maybe ask her why she left the door open and child unattended and then base your decision on that?

I'm sure I'm being too nice and probably wouldn't behave this way if it were my child, so please do not bash me for being an opposite opinion, I just thought I'd check.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I must agree with the others. NO second chances where your little one's well being is in question. What next? Will she leave the iron plugged in? The oven door open? Leave him in the bathtub to go answer the phone? Leave him in the cart at the store while she loads the stuff into the car? Nope, no second chances. There are too many out there that would take their job (and his safety) much more seriously. I've been babysitting for over 40 years and never ONCE have I turned my back on a child for even a second. You just can't. But if you can't do the job, don't sign up for it. Get rid of her ... now!!
    And so sorry 'anonymous' but NO she does NOT deserve to have a sit down. Talk to her about the dangers that she put this baby in? I don't think so. If she doesn't have enough sense to understand the dangers of it and NOT do it, then chances are pretty good she's not going to understand it if you try to explain it to her.
    fairymomma

Answer by fairymomma at 11:10 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I have to agree that i would fire her as well. Its your babys life you have to think about. Hopefully firing her will wake her up and she will be more responsible that is outrageous to even think about giving her a second chance she put your baby in danger get rid of her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Feb. 13, 2009