How long did hospice take care of your loved ones before they passed?

long story, my FIL is not doing well, he is going to pass, but he is misrible and suffering. Hospice is comming out a couple times a week, I was just wondering how long hospice usually treats paitents, we dont know how long he has.

RJSMOMMA

Asked by RJSMOMMA at 7:36 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Health

• I'm so sorry to hear that. With my Aunt and Uncle they were sick for awhile before Hospice. Once in Hospice I believe in was a couple of months.

hugs

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:39 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• We had hospice for my grandma and they were with her for around 2 weeks at which time she passed on.

Answer by gemgem at 7:50 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I am so sorry for your family's sadness. My husband's aunt was diagnosed with cancer in Sept 06 in late Feb 2007 we were told she had a month to live and was in a nursing home. She left the nursing home shortly after that and had a few good times here and there but had a hospice nurse and our aunt died in November 2007. We were very very shocked and freaked out to get that month timeline in February. No one truly truly knows the length of our lives. I urge you to priortize your time with your fil. I think a newspaper man, Art Buchwald, was told at least twice that his time was coming, google him if you want. If you're able to spend a lot of time with him I urge you to do that. To be with a person when they pass is a gift. Prayers for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It was less than a month for us Angie. My grandfather was brought from the hospital into a hospice home and had passed withing a month of the transfer. I LOVED the way the home handled his death tho, and up until right befor ehe passed and was having nightmares he was very at peace.
    I'm so sorry this is still going on for y'all...How are the kids taking it? And how is your poor, poor hubby?
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 8:36 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Hospice helped with my dad when we found out his cancer was terminal. (about 6 months)

For the most part...once a patient is "terminal" hospice will step in to help. (around here)

I'm sorry your family has to deal with this.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:52 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• My grandpa had Alzheimer's and was in hospice care from Aug 2007-Oct 2008 when he passed. They told us it would only be about six months at the most so we never thought he would make it 14 months. When my grandma decided to put my grandpa in hospice care they told her they treat them until they pass. No matter how long that takes. My grandpa was a strong person and the body just woulnt let go even though his mind was gone.
    I am so sorry to hear about your FIL. I know how hard that is on the family.
    YoungMomtoGirls

Answer by YoungMomtoGirls at 9:00 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• My husbands grandfather was on hospice from June 08-August 08. I'm pretty sure they stay with the patients if they are terminal until they pass on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Anonymous is right. Hospice will stay with a terminal patient until they pass on and the length of time just depends on the person and the condition. My grandfather with lung cancer was on it about a month. My cousin with brain cancer was only on it for 2 days.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• *hugs* to you and your family. We are going through the same thing with my husbands grandmother. She has terminal brain cancer and they have called in hospice just this week. We don't know how long either, as she was doing great this past weekend we saw her. :( I pray that his suffering stops soon and that your family will be okay.
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 10:00 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• My father finally allowed hospice into the house a week before he passed.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 13, 2009