Students VS Prisoners

.

This is pretty much true in all states and very sad. Kids have access to libaries and internet though and some schools do have weight rooms. 

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 10:05 AM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I've thought about this before. Prisoners don't have to work for any of the things they get & some of us work our butts off & have nothing!! This world is just plain stupid sometimes!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:21 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• well stuff like laundry, food, & housing is a given...we cant have prisons if we dont pay for them to live there. the rest (besides basic health care) isnt necessary. they come right back b/c prison is easier than life. i spent a day in a min security prison for a class once...it was AWESOME. we watched TV, had a delicious lunch, played some basketball, much better than a day at school (granted these guys were white collar criminals).

our country's priorities ARE screwed up when it comes to education...why else would we be at the bottom on the list of developed nations?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:19 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I have no idea why prisoners would have internet access. That makes no sense. There are a lot of things that prisoners get that don't make sense, but have been provided because it is considered inhumane for them to do without. Cable TV? That is not a necessity. Internet access? Not a necessity. I could reasonably argue that a computer lab and education might help bring recidivism rates down, but the other things are just time killers. As well, I think we have had plenty of years of providing free education to prisoners that they should be able to do a study (and perhaps already have) that shows the recidivism rate of the prisoners that received a free education.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:34 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Many states advertise that part of the income from lottery ticket sales goes to the public school system. I would think that if that were true our schools would be in much better shape. In my family no one has utilized the public school system for 5 generations, however, I believe that the public school system and public libraries are what helped make America a world power. It is a huge mistake not to recognize this and instead America is falling behind other countries when it comes to education. I believe that this more than anything else will predict outcomes for the US as a world power in the generations to come.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:23 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Our children get to go home, and have the opportunity to take their lunch to school... Their school has a weight room, library, internet access, they even offer clothing if families can't afford it. They also offer winter coats every year, in all sizes.
    I think the monetary comparison is sad, but you also have to figure in how large the prisons are compared to a lot of the schools in the US. Our school is very small, and is in a very small community. Also, since when does a school district offer any kind of healthcare?
    I don't see the comparison being accurate.
    I agree education in the US needs an overhaul, but to compare to the prison system just doesn't make sense to me.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:30 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• While I agree w/ the lop-sided lack of funding for our education system, I just have to point out one thing when comparing our schools to other nations. Other nations don't require testing of ALL their students. They don't factor in their special needs scores, or the scores of those who are not college bound. While it'd be great to have ALL our students head off to college, college just isn't for everyone. That's why we have trade schools. The numbers are not accurately reflecting all angles. Also, we have people in congress who have no clue how to educate or manage a classroom, deciding what kinds of tests our kids should be mandated to take to prove themselves & their teachers' effectiveness. It's asinine!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I do not know why students were compared to prisoners, screwed up if you ask me. But the stuff mentioned that the prisoner gets are EARNED. I am not defending this by any means, but I have seen how the prisons works, my father was a guard at the Lapeer State Prison for 20 yrs. The 'laundry services' have prisoners washing, drying and folding and get paid to do it. Not money mind you, credits. You earn credit by working. These credits can go to watching TV, getting treats such as candy and stuff. They have internet access which is VERY closely watched and monitored, and the prisoners get credits for selling stuff to people. The prisoners have the last name of a person and no access to anything further then that. And this system has been in place, at least here in MI for 8 yrs now. If they get someone to buy whatever, that person gets switched to the company who is selling that item.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Now the free health care, 3 meals a day, free housing (DUH), and clothing, well thats basic common sense. But at one time, many prisons didn't have ANY of this...none. And then what happened? A prison riot, the Attica Prison Riot. The worst riot in American history, even now. Why I do agree people who are sentenced to prison should be as a punishment, not 'club med' But prisoners out number guards 10 to 1, anywhere. Massive over crowding in many. But the free sport programs? Someone watched the Longest Yard with Adam Sandler to many times. And a weight room? A bunch of weights that are donated, and they have been used hard before they get there. Then its outside. You have to have something for the men to work out frustrations instead of other prisoners or guards. And kids can get funding to get a degree, and a prisoner wants to do something with his life besides crime should also have a chance.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:03 AM on Jan. 10, 2013