For those that were homeschooled as a child...

1) Do you feel it was a good thing being homeschooled?
2) Did you ever feel left out of anything because you were homeschooled?
3) Are you homeschooling (or planning to homeschool) your children?
4) Would you encourage other mothers to homeschool their children?
5) If you do not feel homeschooling to be a good thing, why not? What needs to change to make it a good idea to you?
6) If you are glad you were homeschooled, what do you think made it a good experience?
7) What advice would you give to mothers considering homeschooling their children?

TanyaR1024

Asked by TanyaR1024 at 8:25 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• 1. I loved being homeschooled
    2. Only briefly did I ever feel left out, but it was a sibling thing (I have 5)
    3. Yes, I am planning on homeschooling.
    4. I only encourage others to homeschool if they feel equipped. I know people that have homeschooled that should not have.
    5. -n/a- feel it is a good thing :)
    6. I learned how I learn. This was key for me. I learned at my own pace, instead of being put in a "box"
    7. Take the time... homeschooling does take time investment. (That would be the short version.)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:08 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Thanks for answering! How long were you homeschooled and did you go on to college? I should have included those questions!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 11:28 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I was homeschooled the last two years of high school only. This was after my mother had a disagreement with school administration on a topic that was being included in the school cirriculum. I was afraid that I would be left out socially once I left school, and I was to some extent but not nearly as much as I feared. Since I already had my social basis in the local school I still attended dances and games, etc... I joined some groups/clubs in my community and met tons of people of all ages, though and I would never have done that other wise.

I learned much better at home than in school because it was centered around my progress. We didn't move on until I had grasped what we started with, which is something I struggled with in school. I would definitely advise parents who can be committed to teaching their children this way to do it. I have started homeschooling with my toddlers and plan to continue (cont'd)
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 1:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• through out their school careers. I did go on to graduate college with my bachelors degree. If I were to give advice to a homeschooling mother it would be to pay attention to how your child responds to your teaching and alter your method until you find exactly what works. Not every child will learn best by following strict cirriculum plans and with homeschooling there is great freedom to make every life experience a learning opportunity.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 1:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Thanks MommyAddie!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 1:28 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• keep in mind, too, Tanya, that you're talking about a generation here. those who are adults now homeschooled at time when it was much less mainstream and there were far fewer homeschoolers. There are many classes and groups now for homeschoolers which probably didn't exist ten to twenty years ago, and far more resources. And growing every day!
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:39 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Thanks for pointing that out autodidact! That is very true. At this point, I'm just starting to do my research and feel like I'm blindly searching anywhere i can think of! I have joined some groups on here and am reading all the sticky posts at the moment so hopefully that will give me some direction!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Sorry, I just checked back. I was homeschooled from 2nd grade through graduation and I attended 4+ years of college (changed colleges and degrees halfway through). 2 of the college years were Running Start while I was doing high school work too.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 12:47 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• 1) Yup. the schools that I would have gone to are horrible. And I like picking what I study not what someone else thinks is educational.
    2) Left out? between 2 homeschool groups, 4-H, church yough group, soccer and volunteering I really didn't have the time. plus I have lots of siblings.
    3) We are planning to start our 2 y/o in Pre-K next fall. when they fit High school they will have a choice, Private or Unschooling
    4) Of course, however not every family is cut out for homeschooling.
    5) n/a
    6) for the most part I'm happy with it. I should have studied more but I'm happy.
    7) Do what works for you.
    PS:
    I also went to college. I'm working on 3 degrees. =)
    I remember the days when homeschool homes were raided and their kids taken away. Homeschooling has come along way.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2009