I need serious advice - about a dog. Please! *updated*

**I dropped the dog off at the vet around 9:30a.m. He is getting groomed & fixed. He'll be up for adoption this Saturday. The rescue ladies said he'll go FAST as he's the type of dog people look for.

as for my neighbor...I don't even think she realizes he's missing yet! She hasn't called, texted, or knocked to see if we have seen him. That could mean nothing but I expected her to at least question if we had seen him....

Anyways, he's safe now. Thank you ladies. And to answer the anon's question - NO. she had not chipped him or put a collar on him nor registered him**

I rescued 2 small dogs several months ago after a neighbor had been evicted and abandoned them. I placed 1 dog with my next door neighbor. She is nice and had mentioned a few times that her daughter (15) had wanted a dog.

Well, I have since realized that the dog (approx 15 lbs) is being kept outside with no shelter. Now, we do live in soCal but our city, Lancaster, has had the record breaking lows this season at like 13degrees. She also feeds it Old Roy (lol, I know it's food but yuck). This dog is one of those small long soft hair dogs that needs grooming and deserves to be pampered.

Additionally, I have rescued it twice this last month when it got out. The first time their back gate was simply wide open. I closed the gate & texted the neighbor to lock it. 2nd time was last night when my husband got home from work after 11pm. The dog was simply on our lawn, alone. So hubby brought him in & he spent the night. The dog is also covered in burrs from being outside all the time.

So, my dilemma. Do I give it back to the neighbor?? Or do I secretly stash it and find a rescue to take it? I cannot keep it for the obvious reason plus my bulldog will 100% kill it. He hates other dogs.

Tesserae

Asked by Tesserae at 10:52 AM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Pets

• Find a no kill rescue to find it a new home.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:56 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Stash the dog and find it a no kill shelter asap
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I don't mean to say you are stealing and i think it is great that you would want to rescue them I am just saying that in the eyes of the law it could be considered stealing and that can get you in serious trouble.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I would find it another home if possible asap. Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:58 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• You could take it to the shelter, but if she finds it, it will be hers again. Small dogs like that, as well as certain other breeds (like my spoiled ass cockerspaniel) are not made to be outdoor dogs. Your overall temp is not bad, but the lows are not going to be tolerated. If she brings it back, you should call animal control so they can take it away from her.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:59 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I would try and call now. In my area most places like that open at 9-10 so you may need to stash the dog for a little bit
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• If it's too early they won't answer and you will get their voice mail. Might want to look them up online to see if they have hours posted, but I would probably just take my chances and call the number.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:03 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Technically after all this time it is their dog an if found out you could get in trouble for stealing. Call the local animal shelter/aspca and report them but I don't think you should be skeezy and just take the dog.
    I feed my dog Beneful and my brothers dog gets ol roy,when my German shepherd goes to my dads she thinks ol roy is this amazing treat and gobbles it up.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:06 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Yeah, call the animal shelter and let the dog freeze to death in the mean time. That's a great solution. Have they taken the dog to the vet? Have they licensed the dog with your city? Does the dog have tags on its collar?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Find a new home for it.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 9, 2013