pups that can jump a 4 foot fence help!!!

we have 4 dogs the 2 older ones are great, the 2 pups who will be a year old next month figured out that they can jump our 4 foot fence in the backyard so now instead of letting them go outside when ever they need to go potty we have to let them out so we can watch them. i don't like shock collars so what else can i do in the middle of winter to let them roam but stay inside the fence? any help?

diweisser

Asked by diweisser at 8:29 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Pets

• We have a zip line from our garage to a tree so our dog can roam the yard freely. Are you able to do something like that?

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:33 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• ya my shepherd is pretty agile...we also have a zip line...she is pretty strong and never broke through it...
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 8:38 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Ditto to the answers above. This is probably your best option!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• if you do the zip line just make sure it is no where near long enough to go to the fence I knew someone that did that and their dog still jumped the fence with the line on and hung himself. So just check the length
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 12:58 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I have also tried stringing flags on a line at the top of the fence to detoured them from going there. But a zip line is good if you provide a long enough line for them to run. I also put up a tether ball pole and hung one for them to play with. Provide something for them to do at play time so they won't get Bord while they are out there. Big balls to chase, like a beach ball are great but the hard ones. Give them as many outside toys to keep them busy. You can even tthrow the balls from the door way! The only other thing is a hot wire (for dogs) at the top of the ffence. It will only take one time for them to never try jumping again and it won't HURT them. I have done that for larger dogs that want to go awol. Good luck, and may something work for you and your pups.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 1:07 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I agree with the hotwire. By far the most reliable solution.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 12:26 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• The hot line at the top of the fence is a great idea. Our next door neighbors had a tall German Shepherd mix (Mixed with mountain lion I think) that was jumping over the 6 foot chain link fence between their place and ours. From our place she would stroll over the 3 foot fence we have and out onto the highway. They hooked up a hot line at the top of the 6 foor fence and she only went over it twice after that. You couldn't even entice her to the fence to get a treat, after the second time. (I tried because they wanted to test it.) She screamed like she was getting skinned alive both times, and I'm sure it "bit" her, but she hasn't been near the fence since!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:47 PM on Feb. 14, 2009