Pregnancy and Depression

I was jsut wondering if anyone else has dealt with, or is dealing with this...I used to be on Zoloft a few years ago, for a very short period of time, and I feel the same way I did then...I dont want to do anything, I am planning a wedding and getting things together for teh new baby, but none of it is fun to me. If it were up to me I would lay in bed all day long and be a slob, and thats so not like me! I cry every single day for hours at a time, jsut because i dont want to do something (work, clean,talk to friends)I know the only person that can diagnose depression is my dr, which i will talk to soon, but if you went through this, what did they do to help? I just dont like people that chalk it up to jsut hormones, i know its more than that...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Definately take some fish oil and make sure you are eating right. Ask your husband or a friend or family member to please drag you out of bed once a day to go for a walk so you get some exercise, fresh air and sunlight. I take 5-htp to deal with seasonal depression but I am not sure if it is safe for pregnancy. Do some research on that, St. Johns Wort and Sam-E. One of those may be safe for pregnancy. Either way, I figure they must be safer than drugs!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:47 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Well I have to force myself out of bed every morning at 5am for work, and i absolutely HATE my job, so I know that doesnt make it any better =/ and what is this about fish oil?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Sounds like you know what's up.

Definitely talk to your OB soon. You know your body and your mind. And my OB practices BOTH said 2 things to keep in mind (1) Most women with depression issues have worse issues during and right after pregnancy and (2) It's more dangerous for the baby to not be treated. It may not be in the news, but the danger is real. Just being depressed.

My personal opinion is that drugs are as safe or safer than herbs (some of our finest poisons are herbs, too- all natural does not equate to safe). You want to read in reliable medical records what drugs have been taken in pregnancy and with no bad effects. Your doctor can tell you about which drugs have been shown safe in the US (I think Zoloft is one). If you want to research herbalss, you may have luck in European med journals, where they are more commonly used

Totally agree about getting out & exercise, but sounds like you need a little more
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:33 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Thanks a lot!!! I will def. call my Dr. asap! And the thing is, i try to do all of the "home remedies", i eat healthy, exersize regularly, do things that i would usually enjoy, not let myself get too stressed out, but none of it works!!! its terrible =( But thanks again for the info!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• i took zoloft all the way up to my last trimester with no problems at all with my first. this time i went with out. it still gets bad sometimes but ive been doing this mind over matter kind of thing if i start to get to upset for no apperent reason instead of dwelling on the feelings i tell myself that they are rediculus & remind myself of all the reasons i have to be happy: ie-my daughter, my husband, the fact that i am alive, i have a roof over my head, and i will be able to hold my new child soon :D also sometimes its good to just go to another room and cry it out, but be sure that afterwards you get up and do something even if its just vacuming it will help keep your mind off stuff. and if your religous, even just a bit, find some comfort in that. also no one is 100% happy all the time, so if you are happy for a day or two and then you start getting sad again dont think oh no its happening again, think this is normal.
    mrs.cooley

Answer by mrs.cooley at 3:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• oh sorry im not saying you should forgo drugs and try to do it yourself, its really hard ive been doing it for almost 2 years and at times it doesnt always work, its just something you could try, goodluck i hope everything works out if you need to talk message me
    mrs.cooley

Answer by mrs.cooley at 3:44 PM on Feb. 13, 2009