Gas cut off.... upset

So my husband is responsible for making sure the bills get paid. Yesterday the gas got cut off. He gets paid today but the gas company closes before he gets his check... and even if we paid it right this minute it could be up to 5 days before our gas gets cut back on. I can't cook on the stove, I can't take a shower, and we don't have heat. We're in the south and the high temps are supposed to be in the low 60s so it won't get too cold, and we have a fire place and I'm going to buy some cheap space heaters.... but I'm still incredibly upset. I don't cry often at all, but I was balling after the gas company said they couldn't cut it on today (or over the weekend). Now my DH is PISSED at me for being upset and he says I'm being a baby because people go without things like this every day and it's a luxury. I bought the stuff to make a nice V-day dinner which I can't make now. I just need a little pick me up... reassurance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• I am so sorry. So you and husband are together and he pay bills, not divorcing and he's responsibile for bills? Every utility company (gas electric at least) has an emergency number for any emergency at all - some they can help and some they can't. But YOU call that. Do you have right now a sick child? Whether or not call the emergency number and in the day the credit department or shut off notice department. THAT department should be different from regular customer service and additionally the number for emergencies should be different from regular customer service. If the credit department will not work with you I'd see if your state's Board of Public Utilities Commission can help you. If you can them be sure to have your account number and statements information with you along with name of representative you spoke with. Your street address should have received a late notice on the amount owed & a shutoff notice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Hes upset at you because when he sees you cry, it makes him feel guilty. Hes in big time guilt mode. If these are the circumstances, then I say, deal with it, and make the best of it. I am sure he didn't do it on purpose and if it were you, you would want the same level of compassion and forgiveness that he needs from you right now. I wouldn't call it a luxury, but its possible to deal for a few days. How about getting take out and making a bed in front of the fire? Thats pretty romantic. Don't let your anger at him ruin your day. Make up with him and then let him know that if he needs help paying the bills that you would be more than happy to help so he doesn't forget. I would press the gas company for an exact day that they will be able to help you out. They might not be able to give you a time, but approximate would help. Good luck to both of you.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:48 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• cont'd from first answer...most utility companies have moratoriums on winter shut offs - some not at all in the winter and others just not on fridays ad weekends. Don't be afraid - if they want and can be convinced the utility company can for a fee sometimes paid at time of re-turn on and other companies bill to your account. You must have reasons why bill wasn't paid and not have an attitude when calling either their credit dept, emerg. response dept. or State Board of Public Utilities. Stay calm and call. If they still won't turn it back on before five days you are right, at least you do have a fireplace and still have electricity. Cook chicken or meat in a crockpot slow cooker instead and buy a dessert. You might want to look into why you didn't know about shut off notice if you didn't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• We went through some hard times when my husband was laid off. I came to the conclusion that difficult times can either pull you apart or bring you together. The good news is YOU get to choose what it will do. Now, this situation is raw and painful and it sucks but someday you might refer back to it as the time you snuggled together all week and celebrated Valentines with takeout and space heaters. It's all how you look at it. Bet wishes to you both.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 8:56 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I think he's upset because you are. Men suck at expresssing how they feel. BUt I'm betting he's also embarassed because he forgot to pay the bill, not to mention (even though he won't admit it) he's probably missing a hot shower as well. Cut him a little slack, men are such wimps.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 10:15 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I don't think my husband has ever been truly mad at me, but he gets mad at me when I'm upset or mad at him. So my favorite line is "I'm sorry, I must have missed something, why are you mad at me, I thought I was mad at you?" he can never answer either because he doesn't have a reason. Men are babies and you have a right to be upset about the gas, but it certainly isn't a luxury. Try to make the best of it like stated above, you'll be the bigger person and he will remember that.
    neenee32

Answer by neenee32 at 10:29 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Dude!! Go stay with a friend or at a hotel till power is back on. Let him live without it alone. If my husband told me I was being a baby I would make him Pay!!! Just cuz he feels guilty for letting it happen doesn't give him the right to hurt you!! I'd tell him to kiss my ass and then I'd leave till it came back on.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• hugs

mom2girliegirls

Answer by mom2girliegirls at 7:38 PM on Feb. 13, 2009