Ever wash your hair with just baking soda and vinegar?

I just did. so far it looks pretty normal. We'll see once it's dry,lol

I made a paste with baking soda and water,and rubbed it into my scalp and then down my hair,and then rinsed with a pitcher full of water with a cup of vinegar in it,then rinsed well with water
I purposely skipped a shampoo yesterday so it was dirtier to try my experiment on

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Beauty & Style

• It is all I use now. You eventually have to find the right balance for your hair. Too much baking soda can dry it out and too much vinegar can make it oily.

For me: I put about a Tablespoon of baking soda in my hand and work it into my scalp. After rinsing it out I put a splash of apple cider vinegar in a cup and fill it with water, then pour over my head and rinse off.

I love it and have even stopped using conditioner. I used to need the conditioner because my hair was so dry and tangled. I actually really like my hair now. It has become a little curly since I started doing this. I'm guessing the build up over the years just kept any curl/wave from showing.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I would need to condition after that. Without conditioner, my hair is awful.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:47 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• What are the benefits of it?
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:27 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• No. Vinegar sounds pretty harsh for hair though??? Let me know how it turns out.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:28 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I do not use traditional shampoo this is what I do. I started doing it because it is WAY cheaper and we were broke. But it has many benefits. My hair is super healthy now and I don't have to use any styling products at all. I "wash" my hair once a week with baking soda paste and I rinse with apple cider vinegar every day. If you have dark hair the ACV works better than white vinegar, but it will make blondes look brownish. The vinegar is actually the "conditioner" My hair has no smell to it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:48 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Does it make your hair smell gross?
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:32 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• My grandma told me her mother use to use vinegar after shampooing her hair. It strips build up and would keep lice away. I've never tried it. I'm afraid my hair will smell like vinager and I really do t enjoy how it smells. Did it leave a vinegar smell or no?
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 11:34 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I do an apple cider vinegar rinse on my hair once a month. And also an avocado hair mask.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 11:38 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I don't know about everyone else, but I like the fresh smell of the shampoo/conditioner! I wouldn't like having no smell. But if you are happy with the results, use it! :)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:40 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• My Grandmother use to tell me to put a little vinegar in the rinsewater to bring out the red in my hair...interesting.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:47 AM on Jan. 9, 2013