I am getting a lovebird next month. Are there any tips, tricks or advice that I need to know?

Are there any tips, tricks or advice that I need to know?

MrsErdos2011

Asked by MrsErdos2011 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Pets

• Just one?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• You need two! They are love birds & will love & snuggle together.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:52 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Yeah,most birds do well in pairs or more. They are flock animals. See if you can get a pair

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• My sister had love birds. They were very careful about certain things, like not painting fingernails in the house and not heating Teflon pans too hot (I guess they burn off a chemical that can be harmful to birds). I really don't know much about birds other than those things. Oh, and hers were really picky about what they would eat.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:55 AM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I have four make sure they get a balanced diet fruits mind like apples honey crisp, and spinach kept fresh every day. I plan on streaming the activities live of a paired couple. You need to have more than one and keep in mind you will be part of the flock they will be upset if you leave. Also I got them a warming purched

sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Be prepared to clean bird crap!

Answer by older at 1:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• A big thing is not to give them more attention at first than you can give them later. People get birds and fuss over them a bunch for a few weeks, then slack off, and that can lead to problems. So don't fuss over them too much in the beginning. Also, to keep them hand tame, take them out at least a little each day and let them climb on you. Lovebirds are awesome. I miss having them.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I would think you would want two or they might get lonesome and that can lead to health issues.
    Be sure you give them clean water and food every day and it is best to give them a cuttlebone or something similar to smooth their beak.You want to keep them out of drafts and extremes of heat and cold. Cover the cage at night and whenever you need to transport them. I am sure the vet will tell you more and there are tons of books and info on the internet.

Oh itf you are going to want them to perch on your finger and bestroked (advisable because it makes vet checks so much easier on the bird) besure you handle the bird every day. It does not have to be long. This handling may take a while for both of you to get the hang of. be prepared for nips. Lovebirds are pretty mellow birds though.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• do your research before hand pls
    san78

Answer by san78 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2013