• In the Spotlight:

how do you spank ?

my daughter is 10 years old and she gets spanked occasionally i was wondeing if other mothers spank here and what way do you spank do you put them over your knee or make them bend over e.t.c i hope im not the only one here who believes in spanking thankyou

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I do not use corporal punishment. Tried it with my first child, it doesn't work, only begets resentment and disrespect as they get older. I also have to say.....10 year old being spanked, that is WAY too old to be spanking!!!!! Try another tool of discipline. She'll turn on you when she is a teen, especially during those years when a female child diassociates herself from her Mom.
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 9:39 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• 10 is too old to be spanked, hence why you are wondering how to do it. Like pp said, consequences are more effective at her age.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:41 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I spank and I think 10 is still good to spank.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I agree with doodlebopfan... I believe in spanking, but I think that 10 is a bit old to be spanking. . . I would go with taking away privileges, or items that they like. . . extra chores, or time outs. Ten is so close to puberty, turning from a child to a young woman, that it would seem that spanking would drive more of a wedge between you two, and make her angry than actually teach her anything.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 9:46 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• No, 10 is NOT too old to be spanked. Not at all, though I would try other things before resorting to spanking. A lot of kids are very responsive to other things but if you have one like mine (middle child) she is resistant to anything and can go without lots of things if it means she gets out of her work...LOL.....Her dad usually is the one to do the spanking and its rare that we even have to but we still do. He has usually warned her a few times before so that shes not surprised when she gets punished. He does not make her bend over or bare bottomed. I don't believe in bare bottomed spanking. Just me though. She usually gets 3 to 4 licks and then they sit down and talk about it, pray and he lets her know that he wants her to be a self disciplined person and that he loves her, he hates to spank her but she must understand that she is to obey his word. We do not spank hastily and we don't spank in anger. Its a tool.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:49 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Oh btw, moms who believe in traditional discipline is a good group. Check it out for more spanking advice.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:51 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• 10 isn't too old to be spanked should the child do something that would warrant a spanking. I recieved my last spanking when I was 12 years old. I hadn't had one in the longest time---years, if I remember correctly. But I was being a brat.

My mother would have me bend over her lap (I was younger then)
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 10:56 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I just whack their butts as they stand in front of me. Instead of spanking their butt, I often make them hold out their hand and smack that.
    Anonymous

• Momofsaee, I am sorry but you sound a bit like a religious, disciplinarian fanatic. Your post seems too way into the idea that hurting/pain equals obedience. I bet daddy will spanking the hell out of her when she is 17 and no one is looking or awake. Get what I mean? You are even a member of a group that devotes itself to ADVICE ON HOW TO SPANK? Trust me, your kids will end up hating your husband and then you for not protecting them from "Daddy's little spanking session".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• This is sort of a scary topic, I think. I can't imagine actually coming up with techniques to systematically beat a child. I am not one who would over-react to a smack or a swat on the butt, but to plan it in advance and have a specific technique is just to scary to me. I guess the focus in that scenario is that you have dominance over the child and they will actually succumb to the beating to show you that they know who is boss.....and the intent is that the child is supposed to be humiliated by the experience...... I find it all very upsetting. In this sense, I guess that is why people are saying 10 is too old for a "spanking".
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:09 AM on Feb. 14, 2009