VBAC????

This is my second pregnancy, with the first I had to have an emergency c-section at 36 weeks due to pre-eclampsia. I am now 32weeks along with the second and my doctor wants to do a VBAC if I don't get pre-e again and everything goes normally. I want to know from someone that has had a VBAC, how was it can you tell me about it because its starting to get close and I may not even get the chance to experience it but I just want to be a little bit prepared for if I do get to. I am really starting to freak out, just getting really nervous!! Also can anyone kinda explain to me what a contraction feels like, like I said I had to have an emergency c-section with my first so I didn't get to experience any labor or pains of any sort until afterwards! Thanks so much girls!!

PrOuDmOmMy1011

Asked by PrOuDmOmMy1011 at 9:32 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There are a lot of VBAC groups on cafemom. Also you can go to www.ican-online.org. It's the cesarean awareness network. :)

I haven't had a cesarean, but still don't know what going into labor feels like (induction)... lol.

Anyways, if Pauline comes on an answers she had a home birth after TWO cesareans, so she can tell you more about it! :) Good luck, vbacs are generally safer than a repeat cesarean and if your doctor wants you to do it, that's fantastic!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:35 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I've had a labor ending in emer section and two other sections. Labor is the most severe menstrual cramps for hours that could ever be had. Your back and ache horrifically also. I thought about vbac for my second baby but decided against it because of how sick I was from my first labor. After my first baby was born I was in the hospital myself for almost two weeks from a placental infection. I did not find lamaze classes helpful at all with the he he hes and stuff. For me until I had to have the emer section it was more helpful to just blow out long and slow except when pushing. Congratulations on baby!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I had a wondeful HBA2C. I had an emergency c-section with my third child and a planned c-section with my fourth. My fifth baby was born vaginally and the little person who is due tomorrow will be as well when he decided he's ready :-) You may have a hard time finding a provider but it is possible! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:14 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• my doctor does not offer vbacs. none of them do around here. if your doctor thinks you are a good candidate...i would go for it. i don't have a choice but with some other complications in this pregnancy, i feel safer scheduling my c-section. if i was a good candidate i would go for it because of the recovery time of a c-section. good luck!
    kaufmt0220

Answer by kaufmt0220 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I had a beautiful natural VBAC almost 4 months ago. I was scared of the contractions also, but I had spent my whole pregnancy reading up on different pain coping techniques and when labor came, I was pleasantly surprised. I actually enjoyed labor and the pain wasn't exactly pain... it was intensity. I would do it all over again in a heart beat.

Check out some of the VBAC groups here online, ICAN, and a few books. I recommend "The VBAC Companion" and "Thinking Woman's Guuide to a Better Birth." Read up on the things that affect the safety for a VBAC such as epidurals, inductions, fetal monitoring, and things like that.

Don't be scared. Birth is a wonderful thing and the body is amazing. You can do it if you try. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• So since I have had a previous c-section if I make it to labor with no complications I won't have to have an epidural? I thought that since I had a previous c-section I would have to have an epidural just in case I something happens and I have to have another c-section they wouldn't have to waste time giving me one then. Wow that makes me so happy because I want to try without an epidural really bad!
    PrOuDmOmMy1011

Answer by PrOuDmOmMy1011 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• NO! You do NOT have to have an epidural! If they have time to give you an epidural for a c-section, then it is NOT a true emergency If something goes wrong, they can put you under general for the surgery. My recommendation is to stay home and labor as long as possible. That will give you a MUCH higher chance of having a successful VBAC, because as soon as you get to the hospital they will try to unnecessary push interventions (like an epi) on you. If you do have complications however, then you may want to go to the hospital a little earlier. I stayed home for 23 hours of my labor and was only at the hospital for 1 hour before my daughter's birth.

I strongly recommend you hiring a doula. They are an advocate for you, and if you do choose to not have an epi, then they can help you cope with labor. Mine was a lifesaver.

Best of luck to you!
    Anonymous