What might happen to her?

A good friend of mine has a teenage granddaughter who is only two or three weeks away from giving birth to a son. She's had prenatal care, but she never got around to taking the birthing classes or the tour of the hospital, and as of last night, she hadn't picked anybody to coach her during labor. When asked why not, she said her boyfriend wasn't sure he wanted to--yeah I know, right--and anyway, how hard could it be since women did it all the time. So I'm wondering, how will the maternity ward go forward with someone like that who doesn't have a clue what to do when she gets there? Are there last minute classes she can take? There don't appear to be any on the Web site for the hospital. She and the baby are going to live with the grandparents, so she'll have help after he's born. But I guess the ball got dropped because everybody assumed somebody else was dealing with the actuall process of getting the baby into the world.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I was 16 w/ my first, and didn't do the classes, or tour the hospital or have an epidural. Only had dd's sperm donor. lol... in the room, and he was laying on the floor throwing up the whole time, and going out for smoke breaks... so not much help there. The nurses were great though, and instructed, and supported me through the whole thing. Including afterwards w/ the sponge bathing, diaper changes, and feeding. I think it's nice that you are concerned for her!! But she'll be ok. Regaurdless of how uninformed or inexperienced she is, the baby is going to come out one way or another. If you're really concerned and no one will be there for her, you may want to offer to be there if she'd like. In order not to step on toes though you may want to bring it up like "Just wanted you to know that I'm here if you need me"....
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 1:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• You don't have to take birthing classes. The nurses I'm sure have dealt with women that haven't before. They will instruct her, she'll be fine.

Answer by missanc at 12:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I didn't take classes, have a coach, etc. I went in with my Husband, and he was the only one besides nurses, and the Dr, and I did fine. I had natural childbirth with all 3 of our boys.....They will help her.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I never took a class, never toured a hospital.. Mny women don't , they will just help her by showing her breathing techniques. You don't need a coach to have a baby, this isn't the Olympics. A loved one to reassure her will be sufficient.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 1:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I never toured the Hospital or had a birthing coach. I was induced both times & showed up with my DH where & when I was supposed to. The baby will come no matter what. Maybe have her Grandmother there to hold her hand that's it. The Nurses will tell her what to do, how to breath & when to push. If she does what the Nurses tell her what to do then that's all she needs to know.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I didnt take any birthing classes and I delivered just fine
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• She could walk into the hospital today and ask them about a tour of the maternity ward. If they are not too full they will take her right then and show her around. And it's not too late, one of her family members, mom, dad, sister, aunt, best friend, could go with her.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• All I did was take the tour of the hospital, and while the lay out of the L&D ward was interesting and all, really as long as you know where the hostipal is you're fine. I purposely didn't take any birthing classes because I knew I wanted an epidural so any techniques I learned would be more or less useless since I'd be immobile. As for a birthing coach, eh. As long as she has SOMEONE supportive in the room she doesn't really need a "coach". I did go online and make up a mock birthing plan but it really wasn't all that detailed as all I really wanted was a healthy baby and an epidural.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• She'll be fine. Birthing and mothering are best learned "on the job" anyway. You can't be fully prepared for them from a class anyway.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 1:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Classes and coaching are totally unnecessary. She will be fine.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:05 PM on Jan. 9, 2013