Any tips on how to get my 2 y/o to drink milk out of a cuppy?

My dd will be 3 @ the end of June, and has been cuppy trained since she turned 2 w/ no problems. Except that she refuses to drink milk from a cuppy. She will drink it from a bottle w/ no problem, but will let a cuppy of milk sit all day long refusing to drink it, even when I put chocolate in it. I worry that she's not getting enough calcium because she still gets up 1-2 times a night needing a diaper change, and wanting a drink, and that is the only time she gets any milk, and it's from a bottle. Unless we are out of milk, and then she's perfectly fine using her cuppy. I know I should just toss the bottle, but she is so stubborn that she will go all day throwing tantrums, and not drink a thing, if I force her to have milk in her cup. Don't want her to get dehydrated or get sick from spoiled milk..... At my wits end!!

HappyEndings

Asked by HappyEndings at 12:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try giving it to her with a straw, that might be more fun.
    And, don't worry, there are plenty of ways to get calcium not from milk. Cheese, yogurt, etc
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Thanks, I'm willing to try just about anything. Used ice cubes in the cup to get my other 3 to drink milk. They liked to shake the cup and hear the noise, but it's just not working w/ her. I don't give her a lot of cheese since she has a problem w/ constipation (sorry tmi), but occasionally she'll eat a little bit of yogurt. Def. gonna try a straw though.
    HappyEndings

Comment by HappyEndings (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• My Son preferred the bottle over the sippy cup too. I just simply took the bottles away. He did not drink as much milk & doesn't to this day but I supplemented with lots of other foods with calcium. Lots of cheese & yogurt like the previous poster said. You also have to break the waking up 2-3 times a night routine. There is no reason for her to have a drink in the middle of the night unless she had a particularly salty dinner & is parched. A sip of something before bed & that's it. You shouldn't even need to change her diaper during the night. Change the pee pee diaper when she gets up in the morning. My Daughter is 17 months & I don't even change her during the night. (she doesn't poop at night but I would change that if she did). You have to sit her down & tell her that big girls (soon she'll be going to Preschool) In Preschool don't drink from bottles or get up & bother Mommy & Daddy at night either. Cont:

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Just have her eat her calcium. Cheese, yogurt, etc. and don't worry about the milk. Just give her a cup of water at night. Milk at night is bad for the teeth. Good luck. My kids had a bottle until they were over 3. I let them keep it until they were ready to give it up. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Why is a 2 1/2 year old still waking 1-2 times a night? Cut out the drinks a few hours before bed
    Milk is not necessary to get calcium. There are many other foods she can get it from
    Throw that damn bottle out!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Cont: Say lets see how you can be a big girl too & maybe you'll get a treat. Then buy her underwear or a little toy or something. That will help with potty training too. Just put 2 sippy cups out for her during the day, one with water & one with milk. Tell her if she wants milk then drink it now or I'm putting it away for lunch/dinner. You can give her cheese & bowls with salad dressing to dip it in too. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Throw the bottles out, she's almost three a bottle shouldn't even be an option at his point.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 1:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Try putting milk in your cup & drinking it with her.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• correctionShe doesn't get up every night, just a few times a week, and usually it's because she's scared of a shadow or something, or because she's wet. If I let her cry it out, she'd be up all night, because she's stubborn. As soon as she sees me, and I tuck her in again and reasure her that there are no monsters, or nothing to be afraid of, and change her diaper, if she needs it, because I'm not gonna let her wet through, she's fine and goes right back to sleep. I've always given my kids a 1/2 cup when they were younger to take to bed, and have never had any issues. Especially in the winter it's really dry in our house, I can't afford a humidifier, and if I put water by their registers they just dump it all over. She's got a constipation problem so I don't give her a lot of cheese, and she's iffy on yogurt and won't eat much of it. She doesn't have the bottle in the day, and she's fine w/ a cup at night if we don't have milk
    HappyEndings

Comment by HappyEndings (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Thanks for the feedback and advice, I'll try some stuff out, and hope that it works! =-)
    HappyEndings

Comment by HappyEndings (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2013