Any tips on how to get my 2 y/o to drink milk out of a cuppy?

My dd will be 3 @ the end of June, and has been cuppy trained since she turned 2 w/ no problems. Except that she refuses to drink milk from a cuppy. She will drink it from a bottle w/ no problem, but will let a cuppy of milk sit all day long refusing to drink it, even when I put chocolate in it. I worry that she's not getting enough calcium because she still gets up 1-2 times a night needing a diaper change, and wanting a drink, and that is the only time she gets any milk, and it's from a bottle. Unless we are out of milk, and then she's perfectly fine using her cuppy. I know I should just toss the bottle, but she is so stubborn that she will go all day throwing tantrums, and not drink a thing, if I force her to have milk in her cup. Don't want her to get dehydrated or get sick from spoiled milk..... At my wits end!!

HappyEndings

Asked by HappyEndings at 12:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Green vegetables, soy products, seeds, and herbs are other sources of calcium. Just make sure she is getting vitamin D to absorb the calcium.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I had the dickens of a time getting my little girl off the bottle. The only thing that finally worked was to take them to the trash dumpster and have her toss them in. Even so, it took about two months of no milk before she would drink it from a cup. I just rode it out.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• 1) ditch the bottles
    2) milk is not actually necessary. She can get calcium and good fats MANY other places. Mommy_ Jules mentioned some good sources for calcium. Olive oil and fish are good sources of good fats. Not to mention is she eats yogurt and cheeses those count too. Just make sure she is getting outside so her body can make it's own Vit. D!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Thanks again everyone. I guess it's just time to toss the bottle. Which won't be a problem for her since she really has no attachment to it, and hasn't since she switched to the cuppy. I'll try the straw idea, and the drinking from an actual cup idea, because she actually does like milk, just for some reason not from a cuppy. I do appreciate everyone's tips and advice very much!
    HappyEndings

Comment by HappyEndings (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• they do not need milk to get enough calcium, its in so many foods! research calcium rich foods and take it from there
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 7:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2013