Strawberry Birthday Cake

My daughter wants a strawberry birthday cake. Do any of you have good recipes, either for an actual strawberry cake or a cake with strawberries on it? Preferrably frozen ones because fresh ones won't be in season yet.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I don't make cakes from scratch, but one time, just to try something different, I used some frozen berries, mashed them with the liquid they were in, and used that instead of the water a white cake mix called for (I did use a little extra water too). Turned out pretty good! Something else my kids like - poke cake. Bake a white cake. While it's baking mix some strawberry jello, but using less water - between 1/2-3/4 cup of boiling, then 1/2-3/4 cup cold. Let it sit to cool off. When the cake is done & cool, poke it full of holes and pour the jello over. Refrigerate, and once it's totally cold "frost" it with Cool Whip (they even sell strawberry cool whip but I think it's seasonal). I serve it like strawberry shortcake - once the piece is on the plate I spoon some sugared strawberries (or the frozen sliced ones, yum) over top.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 2:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• ^^ I LOVE that cake except we use marble cake and mix vanilla pudding with the cool whip. The strawberry jello flavor in the cake is PHENOMENAL!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• My daughter loves a strawberry cake I make with the all fruit jam...jelly ...spread.The one with nothing including sugar added.I make it with this or the frozen fruit.It also works with lemon curd.If I made cupcakes I would take a small scoop of cake out and fill the hollow with the all fruit or lemon curd and frost with a cream cheese icing mixed with the strawberries or lemon curd.

When we would visit her at college I took these ,after that it was a requirement from her apt mates when we visited ; )

drfink

Answer by drfink at 4:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Yes, America's Test Kitchen has an AWESOME strawberry cake. I made a Barbie doll strawberry cake for my daughter when she was little. I just used a box mix and then used a cookie cutter to cut slices of strawberry into dots and small flowers and then put them on the "skirt". I used a med metal mixing bowl to make the cake then turned it over and cut a hole in it and stuck the top of a "Barbie" type doll in it. My daughter loved it. I bought the doll at the dollar store took the legs off and stuck it in the cake.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:22 PM on Jan. 9, 2013