What can we do about helping homeless; not be homeless?

I was watching the news last night, and one of the stories was about how our city is spending over $20 million a year to help the homeless. So, how exactly do you help someone get a job and a place to live, with no current address?

angeladh82

Asked by angeladh82 at 9:42 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I believe in teaching a man to fish is better than just giving him food so I think we need more programs to reeducate and train people on welfare. They can then take care of themselves with a minimum amount of help.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• call me heartless- but if they are homeless because they are alcoholics and drug addicted and just lazy and don't make any efforts themselves why do they deserve OUR money.. ? Now the people that are homeless because of the current economy and have tried to get jobs and they just got a bad hand of cards yes they deserve the help!! But I don't know how someone gets a job with no current address??
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:46 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• i dunno... but homelessness is a sad problem... people are freezing and going hungry....so sad..what can we do? most are drug addicts and/or alcho.

i don't feel for the ones that chased drugs and ruined their own lives but i do feel bad for the homeless vets or the people that became homeless thru uncontrolable circumstances...

we spend more in housing prisioners...whats wrong with that picture?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• yes i agree with juliansmommy how sad is that prisioners are living better lives then some homeless and even some people that still have their homes. it really makes me sick how good prisoners have these days... they should really send them to 3rd world country to see how terrible it is..
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:49 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Sad but true, most homeless people don't want to be helped and some of them HAVE money. Just the way they want to be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• They can use the address of a local shelter when applying for a job. There are so many reasons why people are homeless. A very large number of them are mentally impaired. Then there are women with children leaving an abusive relationship, and families that have been displaced due to unemployment, medical bills etc. Home foreclosures have displaced a lot of people. This trend is only going to worsen with our current economy. The best thing to do is to support and volunteer for shelters. Shelters already have the knowledge to help people...as long as they have the resources to do so.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 9:54 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Apparently send them to an Obama Town Hall Meeting....

Naw, seriously. I am a part of Homeless Vets Organization. And I would disagree with Anon above. Most do NOT want to be Homeless. They want a home, but they have been shamed, some suffer from mental illness, many feel that they are in a rut and cannot get out of their vicious circle. I would suggest everyone get involved.  Don't rely on the Government to help them.  The Government is a joke and it is the responsible of us as citizens of this great nation to look out for each other and help out.  Here are some websites I am involved in and encourage others to share additional links to get people involved.

http://www.nchv.org/

http://feedingamerica.org/

http://www.cohhio.org/

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:02 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• For those who became homeless as a result of job loss or an unexpected health related issues, or the death of the "bread winner" spouse/parent, and NOT because of poor choices (diet, drugs, alcoholism),I think the money set aside should be used to support them (especially if they have young children), with low-income/HUD housing, and job training/supplemental education grants. You know, the whole "teach a man to fish...." concept, instead of just giving hand-outs indefinitely!

Confidence and marketable skills are often what MOST homeless people need....not a "band aid."
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:03 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Well grly I disagree with you because there was a special that I watched long ago and have interviewed some of them. You work with VETS. I also said most not all.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Did any of you see the documentary where they gave a homeless man $100,000? He wasted it on alcohol, bought his friend an expensive car and then bought himself a nice truck. He also went to visit his family and they begged him to use the money to get himself together and get a job and place to live. He is still homeless and has none of that money left. I think it only took him like 9 months to spend his way through it!
    Anyways, he was on OPRAH and he said that he felt he was meant to be homeless.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 10:29 AM on Feb. 13, 2009