What can cause a fever that doesn't include any other symptoms??

My son has been feeling a bit warm since yesterday afternoon around 4pm. I gave him ibuprofen and it seemed to have gone away until about 4 am this morning.im taking his temp from his underarm and it is showing 99.7. He is acting normal and has no other symptoms. Has this happened to anyone else?

1stTimeMomofOne

Asked by 1stTimeMomofOne at 3:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Kids' Health

• 1st I'd take it orally or rectally so you get an accurate temp
    99.7 isn't really a high temp
    If he's sick,it could be a garden variety virus
    How old is he?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• a fever
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• How old is he? A common ailment is roseola, which produces a fever and after the fever breaks, a rash on the neck & trunk appears.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 3:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Yes,teething can cause fevers
    Inflammation causes surges in temps

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Low grade fever CAN be a sign/symptom of teething. LINK HERE to what I found. And, yes, he could be getting some molars in about now. My friends have a 1 year old that just cut 5 teeth in 2 days. One day when we were over there that baby was inconsolable because of the pain.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• It may be a bacterial infection of some kind.. The fever may be the only symptom. Your child may need some antibiotics.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:26 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Ear infections can do it, stomach viruses, really just a multitude of things.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• He is about 15 months old. I haven't tried taking his temp orally or rectally but he is acting pretty normal. Just a little loss of appetite. Yesterday I noticed him putting his hands towards his mouth and crying so I assumed it could be the molars coming in except reading/googling says teething doesn't cause fevers? Yet after I gave him a bit of orajel he just stopped doing it.
    1stTimeMomofOne

Comment by 1stTimeMomofOne (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• That would definitely make sense if it was the teething. Is this around the time that the back teeth are supposed to come in?
    1stTimeMomofOne

Comment by 1stTimeMomofOne (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Yea, loss of appetite and a slight fever definitely sounds like teething. They don't want to eat because their mouth is sore when their teething.
    Gabbriellasmom

Answer by Gabbriellasmom at 8:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2013