Pictures of Children and facebook.....

A photographer I follow on FB posted a picture of her daughter this morning. She has since pulled it down after a barrage of comments, both for and against. It was a really sweet picture if her child holding a blanket up to her chest. Beautifully done, this photog is very good! However the child was maybe 4 or 5 and not wearing a top. just holding the blanket. MY first thought on seeing was I would not have posted that picture. People who know her (keep in mind she has over 1900 followers) are defending her and saying things like "people who know you.....". One of the commenter's said that she had seen the picture in a FORUM being discussed for inappropriateness! Do you filter what you allow photogs to post on FB of your kids? Do you filter your pictures heavily? Do you think there should be an age limit set to "topless" photos? Just cutiors...

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• photos like that should be held for personal use. There are to many pervs in the world that would use that photo for their own satisfactions. Plus that photo can be taken wrong like some people took it. There are so many pervs in the world and tons of child pornography. I recent case just was dismissed from a man that was arrested for having a video of his kids in the bath on his phone. He was labeled a perv to the entire US before an investigation was even done.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• My girls are 8, 5, 2.. & I don't post topless photos of them. I actually took one of my 2 year old without a shirt on ( I was changing her in the morning ).. because her hair was WILD!! I cropped the bottom half of her out before I put it on the internet. There are some sickos out there & there are also people who think the worst of everything. Unfortunately in this world today, a picture of a topless child could mean child pornography.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I would not want that posted online. But that is why I am so glad I have my own photography skills, and take my own pics of my kids. I wouldn't want any photos of them posted by a photographer. I understand the need to use them for a portfolio (been there, done that), but I'm just very big on keeping my children's privacy just that - private. Given that, as a writer, I'm trying to get my name out there, I do all that I can to ensure that my children can still retain their own privacy, and that includes restricting who can see their photos (plus I have an asshole ex that I don't want to have access to any more info than required by court). I think any photo that includes any kind of "nudity" should be kept for private use - show it to your family and friends, but not posted online.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Wow. I guess I have never realized how that could be taken. In my eyes, my babies are still babies and 3 and 4. I don't think I have any pics like this up, but now I am going to check just to be safe! I DO, however, have my privacy settings VERY high on my Facebook so that NO one besides my close friends and family can see any pictures that I post.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• If all you see is naked arms I don't see how it's inappropriate. No different than posting a picture of your child wearing a tank top. But I still would be wary about what id post if I had almost 2000 people following me.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• well, we dont use photographers so if I saw pic like that I would be livid because just a hint of a bare chest cant get a perv all worked up.
    Like a previous poster said, I crop anything that could cause an issue with anyone. I know many who do not eel the same and that is thier choice.I prefer to er on the side of caution and safety.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 3:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• It was a side shot and, although I am sure innocent, had a provocative turn to it. The picture was from the side with her back hand holding the blanket up her chest while her entire other side was showing to the front (shoulder to hip naked), and the way it fell over her leg it looked like she had no bottoms on and her bare legs were curled back. It is so sad that you almost HAVE to take a 2nd and 3rd look at some photos to make sure. This was the photographers daughter but it made ME think too. I am a photographer and take those super sweet naked baby pics! I have had parents specifically ask me NOT to post them and I have parents who, once they get their disc, post every single one! Crazy world. But it also makes me think.....they are implementing these sexting laws all over and there are child porn laws.....at what age and what point does this cross a line? Does it all base around intent?
    momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• It sounds like an innocent picture of a child... but unfortunately, there are weirdos out there and the people who think the weirdos are automatically going to be drawn to pictures like this.

Everything on my page is only viewable to my friends.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 3:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I once took a photo of my kid dressed like a Bratz Doll in what appeared to be a seedy hotel room with the words "Grow Up" written on the mirror behind her head. She was flicking off the camera.

It was a class assignment. While half of the class, instructor included, loved the picture and what I was trying to say- A few crack attacks tried to tell me I was objectifying my kid and setting her up for a life of porn.

Some people are nuts. Of course they have no issue with listening to Ravele or looking at Sargent's Madame X. It's a matter of societal norms, which are constantly evolving.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I don't post many photos to Facebook and the few times I did they were all of fully clothed individuals.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2013