can a child temp go to 107.1

my 5 yr old daughterhad a temp of 107.1 and i was called a liar by a nurse,she said there is no such thing

Asked by coco812 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yes its possible and its very dangerous.

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Can it, yes however if it reaches that high it is best to take the child to a doctor. Once the body's temperature reaches 106 you are at risk for tissue damage, especially brain tissue.
    Chances are however that the child has a fever and your thermometer isn't entirely "accurate".
    Still if if was that high I would be making an appointment.

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• yes it can an it is dangerous

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 4:22 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• She should have been hospitalized for sure. Was she?

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:26 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• If your child's temp is ever over 104... head to the ER.

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:28 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I called a friend of mine who is a nurse because this was alarming to me. She said yes it can happen, and that you need to go to the emergency room and seek immediate medical attention for your child. Hopefully you are on the way already.

Answer by Ballad at 4:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• ER for sure. That's REALLY dangerous. Brain damage starts to happen above 104.

Answer by musicpisces at 4:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Oh yeah
    My son's temp soared to 107 for a short while back when he was 6. He went into a febrile seizure,and it dropped to 102
    Yeah,the ambulance was called,lol

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Yes. My dd shot that high once. i don't mess around with things like that we went to the ER. Tested for meningitis, but everything came back ok. Including DD.

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Any nurse with any amount of education and/or experience knows a temp can go that high.. Who was this "nurse" was it someone at the peds office or urgent care?? Sounds like a MA medical assistant.. Many offices do not hire RN's or LPN's anymore.

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:49 PM on Jan. 9, 2013