Sugar free child coming to the birthday party, ideas please.

I do not raise my child in a sugar free household and have reasons behind that choice, but one of my son's classmates mother is totally against candy, cookies, cakes. They have had to eliminate all sweet treats at his school and she yelled at another Mom for putting candy in the kids bags for Halloween.

This child is coming to my son's birthday party and while she will not freak that I serve cake she will make her child sit and watch everyone else eat it. I am not about to tackle her parenting style and it is her choice, but I do want to do something for her child's sake to make a fancy, healthy alternative even if its not cake. I don't want any child to feel left out.

Ideas would be greatly appreciated!

hotelmom123

Asked by hotelmom123 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Safe bet would be to just ask her at student pick up or email/call her and ask her what he isallowed to eat. Even fruit has sugar in it so that raises a whole new set of questions about what type of sugar her child is allowed. There are sugar free treats for people with diabetes etc but she may be against the fake sweeteners too.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I agree, make her provide his own snacks. She shouldnt expect you to change your childs b-day menu for her child.
    I am shocked the entire school went sugar free for this one child
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Please let us know after you talk to her. This seems to be happening a lot and i would appreciate the info for future reference.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• You could make a totally yummy batch of raisin bran muffins. Very little sugar, high fiber. I don't see her being grateful or working with you. Unfortunately, she is too short sighted to realize she is ostrasizing her own child. As he gets older, he will sneak and or hoard sugar snacks. It just makes a monster.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Honestly, I just have to say I am a little tired of all these adjustments everyone expects. Let the kids be kids once in awhile! Sure, we know too much of anything is not good, but some take it to the extreme, then you have a situation like this. Sad and unnecessary.
    CouponKO.

Answer by CouponKO. at 7:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I would just as the mom. Say or email: 'Hello, I just wanted to ask you a quick question . I understand that ____ doesn't really eat sugary foods but I would really like to be able to provide him with a special snack for while the others have cake. Is there a particular snack or fruit that he enjoys? I just want to make sure he feels included.' I am sure she will appreciate the gesture.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• yeah,she needs to provide her kid with his own treat

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Ya, thanks ladies. I really don't care about this woman so much. I don't agree with her but I do respect her choice and her decisions which are not from my understanding health related. It still kind of eeks me that at the last party she did not come up with the alternative on her own and literally made her child sit and watch everyone eat cake and the child just looked so sad. I will ask what is a good idea to her but I kind of just wanted to have something ready to fill that terrible void, but you are most likely right fruit or sugar subsitutes might also be wrong.
    hotelmom123

Comment by hotelmom123 (original poster) at 4:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Can I ask? Why did you invite the child?

I wouldn't have. Only because of the mom's.

Answer by louise2 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• :( poor kid.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2013