Balagan_imma!

I have a question.
How do you reconcile Kosher with eating out where a grill/ griddle may be used to cook pork?

My kids ask me all this all the time (we're pork free- Jewish) and all I have is, "God understands". Good enough for them. I also was taught that many kosher people consider the heat of the griddle to be cleansing

but

explaining this to non- Jews is very difficult.

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 5:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• It can be ahard thing to reconcile. I'm also a realist. I live in Colorado, not the East Coast. We have limited kosher dining opportunities and the one restaurant is meat. And since we no longer eat meat that we haven't had a hand in killing, that's off limits. We are blessed to have several excellent veggie restaurants in the area now, and they tend to be first on our list.

My FIL was a religious man and found it to be ok to eat out in non-kosher places. So that is our family standard. It is partially because the heat and flame does purify the surface. And the heat of the water for washing dishes can count as that as well, but then some don't like it because ceramic is porous and cannot be purified.

Hope I answered your question.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• We have glass dishes for every day, since they are non-porous and therefore can be kashered. We do have 2 sets of everyday and good silverware - 1 milk, 1 meat. And we have 2 sets of "good" dishes, my wedding china and my great-grandmother's china.

We are mostly vegetarian in the house. We are hugely involved in changing the way kosher meat is produced, at least locally. We have a small distribution company for ethically raised, grass-fed/finished kosher beef and lamb. It doesn't have national kosher certification, and that is another issue for us.

I am heavily involved with Hazon and am doing some programming for their 1 day food festival here in April.

Where do you live in Idaho? We were just talking about maybe going through this summer. DD was like "as long as we skip craters of the moon, I'm good." She fell there 2 years ago and has some scars to prove it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Anne- I was thinking more of NYC, Westchester, Boston or DC. But it would also depend on where in those general areas.
    I grew up in Larchmont. I always had Jewish holidays off from school, and my graduating class was about 1/3 Jewish. Here we have approximately 85,0000 Jews.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• True! How did I forget that?!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I'm curious why you all think the East Coast would be better? I've lived here 40 years and only know 1 Jewish person! I'm an hour and a half outside of Philly, 3 hours from NYC.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 6:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• RobinKane is in New York I believe.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• LOL- I am in Idaho and have said the same thing. East Coast would definitely be easier. More options.
    Although the recent influx of Indians and Muslims have created a few new opportunities to eat out without asking the content of EVERY dish.

Yes, you answered my question. I guess if someone else is using my same explanation then I can't be too far off base :)
    Did you have two refrigerators and two sets of dishes? Or did you just go to Vegetarian?
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• PM me please. I will not put my city on here. Some of these women are Cray Cray :)
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 6:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• 2 New York United States 1,970,000 14.9
    Only Tel Aviv has more Jews.

4 Los Angeles United States 621,000 4.7
    6 South Florida United States 514,000 3.9
    8 Philadelphia United States 276,000 2.1
    9 Chicago United States 261,000 2.0
    13 San Francisco United States 210,000 1.6
    16 Washington, D.C. United States 165,000 1.2
    20 Baltimore United States 95,000 0.7
    22 Detroit United States 94,000 0.7

Idaho- Jewish < 0.5
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• And do you mean you all as in Balagan and me?
    because I know Sharon is in Mexico somewhere and if it's Mexico City they have a large and active populous

But there are literally no Jews in Idaho. And in my city if you don't like the local synagogue it is a three hour drive either north or south to find an alternative :(
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2013