Do babies need CEREAL and BABY FOOD?

My baby used to like his cereal. But now that I've started him on baby food, he doesn't want the cereal; even if I mix the cereal and food together. So, do they NEED the cereal or is it okay to just give more baby food instead?

Asked by momofpurebliss at 9:56 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The reason cereal is usually introduced first is because it's less allergenic so less likely to cause problems. It's also fortified with iron, which is a big plus after his natural iron stores run out around 6 months. But if he's on formula, then that will cover the iron. If not, then you can talk to his pedi about an iron supplement if you feel like it's a problem, or you can try taking a supplement and it will pass to him through your breastmilk. But it's not necessary at all. My son never liked it, wouldn't eat it at all, but gobbled up the baby food, and he's doing just fine.

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:27 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• He doesn't NEED the cereal. If he likes baby food, give him baby food :)

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:59 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• They never actually NEED the cereal.

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Nope cereal is never needed. :) My daughter never ate cereal.

Answer by celticreverie at 10:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It's just for practice really and it looks like your baby is telling you that's enough practice, I got it Mom!

Answer by Navymama at 10:15 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• it's a good source of iron. Just make sure that if your lo isn't getting cereal that you are feeding him other things with iron in them.

Answer by julipickle at 11:12 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• They don't need either one. You can just mash up some table foods if you want.

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:23 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• they don't NEED cereal...its just empty calories and carbs made to fill them up more....I just buy organic avocados and mash them and mix in a little BM and my DD looooves it...I don't buy jar baby food..too many preservatives and that kind of stuff....or you could just puree whatever you have for dinner....

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:36 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I never gave my baby the baby food sold in stores just dint like to give her those preservatives. I always gave her homemade baby food which she loves. The problem now is when we take her out on long trips for days she does not want to eat the food in jars, I manage with some fruits.

Answer by revathy at 12:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2009