Anyone else get a lovely jury summons before?

This isn't my 1st time receiving a summons for jury duty, but this time, in order to prove financial hardship (they pay $10 for 1/2 day & $20 for a full day- but the cost of parking is $5.00) they are not only asking for a letter from my employer, they also want a bank statement (acct. numbers blacked out), a pay stub & a list of expenses. This sounds very intrusive to me. What have your experiences been like with this?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Money & Work

• I have gotten four summons. First I had to show for since m work paid for it. They called my group just before they let everyone else go for the day. I was questioned by both attorneys about my background and they decided against me since I have law enforcement in my family and a police officer was going to be testifying. I guess they didn't think I could be impartial. Second one I got out of because that employer didn't pay for jury duty. The next two times I had been the primary caregiver to my two kids and couldn't get daycare.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I've gotten one summons. It was when my 9 year old was about 10 months old. I sent the card back stating I'd LOVE to serve, as long as there was some kind of childcare for him, as I was the primary care giver and had no one to leave him with. I got back a letter saying I was excused. He might have been younger, and I was still nursing him......I honestly don't remember now.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I was called just after baby was born(Feb) in June?
    I was told I could get a one year deferment and the new paperwork said to expect a note in March?
    hmmm, March to June...not 12 months.

They provide daycare only if people donate their payment to the in court daycare. 14 yo may have to miss school. IDK what to do. But not going to fret until closer to date.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:31 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Last year about this time.... It was post marked Jan 12th, I got it on the 16th and it was asking me to show for Jury duty Jan 7th.....I called and they said to ignore it. Someone had messed up and those weren't even supposed to go out.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Different states and counties all have different rules and things they will or won't do. I got a summons and was having a hard time finding a sitter and called to see if they had daycare there or a company they worked with and they didn't they would even cover the cost of daycare unless the trial was so many days long.
    ddmalott

Answer by ddmalott at 6:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Yes we've all botton them. My DH was paid $ 12.00 for they day.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Yep...always been released from serving. Here you call the night before and they tell you if you are required to show up. Never even had to go. I wouldn't mind serving jury duty. I think it would be pretty cool actually.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I served on a murder trial. It was interesting, and horrible but I was out two weeks work.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:43 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I was summoned twice. The first time I was really not happy about it since I would have to take off work and knew I wasn't going to get paid much for it. Plus I was super busy at work and having time off for jury duty would put me even farther behind. I lucked out though. I called the night before and was told I didn't have to go in. The 2nd time I was summoned, I had vacation time I could use for it and wasn't that busy at work. I was all prepared and looking forward to it. I called the night before and I still had to go but had to call in the morning to check again. When I called in the morning, I was told the case had been settled. Then I got a letter in the mail thanking me for my service. I think it would be cool to serve on a jury.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 8:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I've gotten about 5 or 6 of them. Most of them while I was in college, one while I was still in the hospital with DS. I have only ever had to go once. I didn't get picked for a jury so I didn't worry about it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2013